Purpose of consultancy:
The Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training (MOFE&PT) and UNFPA have signed a partnership agreement to integrate Life Skills Based Education (LSBE) in the national curriculum of grades 6-10. UNFPA will provide support in terms of technical expertise in streamlining LSBE content based on existing work done by the ministry and engage Life Skills Based Education (LSBE) experts and educationists and relevant stakeholders from federal and provincial level in identifying the core issues of young students and necessary life skills requirements to design and finalize LSBE module to be incorporated in the curriculum. In addition to this, UNFPA partnership will strengthen the capacity of MOFE&PT to integrate and roll out the LSBE that will contribute in future roll out of the programme in the school system. The expert will also support the linkages with the provinces and facilitate the roll out of LSBE at the provincial level.
The purpose of this consultancy is to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training (MOFE&PT) for the integration of age-appropriate and gender sensitive life skills based education content into the national school curriculum (6-10 grades) and enhance capacities of government personnel on developing student centered LSBE programmes and teaching materials for in-school
Scope of Work:
- Facilitate a consultation meeting involving concerned government (including health, population and welfare departments) stakeholders and civil society constituents and conduct focus group discussions with students and teachers prior to drawing up a gender-responsive and age-appropriate LSBE curriculum;
- Draft gender-responsive and age-appropriate LSBA curriculum which will be integrated into the national education curricula, followed by a one-day review and validation workshop
- Analyze existing LSBE manuals/materials and develop an outline of age-appropriate LSBE content for grades 6-10.
- Develop a communication strategy to support the roll out of LSBE programme in schools and engage with stakeholders to support the roll out.
- Serve as a member of a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) which will provide technical advice to the Ministry on the content and integration process and will consist of members from UN agencies and Civil Society Organizations.
- Facilitate linkages between federal ministry and provincial education departments and curriculum councils/boards to support the LSBE roll out.
- Report on the progress of LSBE interventions and identify bottlenecks/challenges for improvement and timely rectification.
- Develop LSBE teachers’ guides and accompanying workbooks for girls and boys based on the endorsed LSBE curriculum.
- Develop teachers’ training plan on LSBE roll-out in schools and supervise teachers’ training programme at the national level.
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant federal ministries and relevant provincial departments to promote LSBE and build linkages with adolescent and youth health related programmes.
Duration and working schedule: 6 months initially
Places where services are to be delivered: Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training and Provincial departments of Education. (60%)
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered: A work plan will be developed. The Consultant will be responsible to deliver the activities and report back on monthly basis.
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline: Monthly report comprising of status of implementation of work plan activities.
Supervisory arrangements: UNFPA Deputy Representative
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
· Have a Master's degree in education, sociology, social work, public health, and social sciences with 5 years of demonstrated professional work experience.
· Holds a five-year work experience in the area of life skills based education, sexual reproductive health rights of adolescent/youth and gender.
· Hands-on experience of designing age-appropriate and gender responsive life skills based education curricula, manuals and student teachers’ guides.
· Holds an experience of managing policy advocacy programmes preferably in life skills based education.
· Possesses a strong advocacy and communication skills.
· Be fluent in English.