The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is an important partner of the Government of Pakistan for achieving national development goals. UNDP works with the Government, civil society and development partners in four broad programmatic areas; Policy Development, Democratic Governance, Environment and Climate Change and Crisis Prevention and Recovery.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Communications Analyst, the Communications intern will work as part of the Communications team to achieve the results outlined below. He/she will be responsible to support implementation of the corporate communications strategy, as well as provide inputs to the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
Summary of Key Functions:
The Social Media Intern will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
- Draft messages for UNDP Pakistan’s Twitter and Facebook accounts and post on a daily basis;
- Support social media accounts monitoring of partner organizations and conduct research on relevant development issues to create content for UNDP Pakistan’s digital communications;
- Support in engaging with the audience of UNDP Pakistan’s social media accounts and expand followers;
- Assist in posting content to UNDP Pakistan’s Youtube and Flickr accounts as necessary;
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies for social media campaigns;
- Assist in updating the UNDP Pakistan’s website through creating content and updating it through the content management system;
- Assist in seeking out and edit photos and graphic materials with the aim of enhancing the quality of UNDP Pakistan’s printed and digital communication materials;
- Assist in producing different forms of graphic and data visualization materials.
- Assist in producing communications materials and knowledge products for UNDP Pakistan including brochures and short reports;
- Assist with writing, shooting, editing communications materials in regional meetings and events;
- Assist in liaising with the press and maintaining relations with the media;
- Assist the Communications Unit in providing technical support to projects as necessary.
Impact of Results
The key results should have an impact on the overall efficiency of UNDP’s advocacy efforts.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
• Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
• Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal oriented mind-set;
• Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
• Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
• Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Education: Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Mass communications, media relations, journalism, filmmaking, development, political science, publishing or related field.
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a Masters Degree programme;
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a Bachelor’s Degree;
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (Bachelors/Masters) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
Language Requirements: The candidate must be fluent in English and Urdu, having both written and speaking skills with ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
Duration: 8-10 weeks
Candidates who get selected for internship at UNDP shall be required to provide the following prerequisite documents:
- Proof of medical insurance for the duration of the internship
- Letter from the candidate’s university confirming current enrollment and graduation date, if applicable;
- Copy of the candidate’s transcript;
Note: A person who is the child or sibling of an UNDP staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at UNDP.
UNDP provides Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA).
UNDP has zero tolerance towards Sexual Harassment (SH) and Sexual Exploitation & Abuse (SEA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts.