UN Women Pakistan is seeking to hire a Full-Time Senior Technical Specialist to support the Women’s Parliamentary Caucus (WPC) in the National Assembly of Pakistan. The Specialist will provide advisory and management support to the WPC to develop strategic plans, identify and foster linkages with other departments, coordinate with provincial WPCs and provide oversight on the overall research, advocacy and implementation of the WPC objectives.
The Specialist will assist the WPC to effectively fulfill its legislative and oversight responsibilities with a specific focus on integrating gender responsiveness in laws and policies, improving women’s political and economic empowerment and their potential role in countering violent extremism and peace processes, and enhancing access to justice for vulnerable segments of the society. This will be achieved through strategic interventions including identification of gaps and challenges, prioritization of issues and agenda setting, development of lobbying and advocacy skills, and building strategic partnerships and alliances.
The Specialist would identify issues and areas of interventions, propose activities and assist in prioritizing agenda for the WPC. S/he will act as a Focal Point for the WPC and would help in organizing activities for the WPC, coordinating the work of the WPC, and follow up on decisions taken.
The Senior Technical Specialist will be responsible for:
· Providing strategic direction to the WPC for undertaking its activities and assisting in setting its agenda including support for development and implementation of a strategic plan, in line with Pakistan’s Gender Equality commitments including CEDAW and SDGs.
· Providing technical expertise and advice to the members of the WPC on various issues related to gender equality and women’s rights;
· Leading the development of strategic framework and annual work plan; monitor progress against results and performance indicators and prepare reports.
· Making presentations on key issues regarding governance, gender and human rights as needed;
· Providing technical assistance to the WPC for drafting pieces of legislations;
· Drafting resolutions, joint communiqués, declarations and official messages for the WPC;
· Communicating with senior level national and international allies, partners, and key officials as directed by the Secretary WPC;
· Conceptualizing, and assisting in organizing national and international conferences, seminars and workshops for the WPC on topical issues;
· Providing substantive inputs to WPC and UN Women whenever requested for the preparation of policy briefs, concept notes/proposals etc.;
· Coordination with regional and provincial caucus and other key stakeholders and identification and synthesis of best practices/lessons learned;
· Technical guidance and supervision of WPC staff/consultants, as directed by WPC Secretary.
Duration of Assignment:
· Master’s Degree in public policy, public administration, gender studies, social sciences or any relevant disciplines;
Experience and Core Skills:
· At least 10 years of relevant professional experience with specific emphasis on women’s rights, gender, human rights and/ or governance;
· Proven track record in programme management, including programme design, coordination, monitoring and reporting.
· Proven experience in institutional capacity building and technical advisory services for gender integration.
· Experience with the Government, UN and other international organizations would be an asset.
· Strong inter-personal skills, communication, networking and team-building skills;
· Excellent oral communication skills and excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant findings for the preparation of quality papers and reports.
· Ability to deal with politically sensitive issues.
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
· Shares knowledge and experience actively.
· Demonstrates commitment to UN Women and WPCs mission, vision and values.
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Proficiency in written and spoken English and Urdu.