TERMS OF REFERENCE
Note: Recruitment process is subject to final approval from UN-Habitat Head Quarters.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat has been a partner with the number of ministries at national and provincial level, development partners, civil society organizations and academia.
UN-Habitat Pakistan Country Programme Pakistan, 2018-2022 lays down the roadmap for achieving the New Urban Agenda focusing on right to adequate housing, universal access to safe and affordable drinking water and sanitation and other basic services, sustainable economic growth, building resilience and protection and conservation of natural habitat as well as Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) particularly SDG11 aiming to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable. The Country Programme is aligned with the Pakistan United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) One UN Programme (OP-III).
UN-Habitat provides a cross-cutting approach for reducing vulnerabilities and risks before and after the disasters. The organization’s approach to disaster risk management/disaster risk reduction, reconstruction and recovery is based on its long-standing experience in working closely with the communities, provincial and local authorities to meet their needs for land, shelter, basic services, secure tenure and infrastructure while simultaneously addressing the longer-term development needs and advocating on policy interventions.
UN-Habitat in collaboration with Ministry of Climate Change started a project to enhance community, local and national-level urban climate change resilience to water scarcity, caused by floods and droughts in Rawalpindi and Nowshera cities which aims to enhance the capacity of households in selected areas of Rawalpindi and Nowshera, to construct, operate and replicate flood resilient water harvesting facilities; besides, engaging the City & District authorities to develop the rain water harvesting facilities on public buildings and “flood water storages in public gardens; and also to develop “spatial strategies to manage city-level developments considering climate change risks and impacts caused by floods and droughts.
In the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)/Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and building climate change resilience, UN-Habitat has started a project to promote disaster resilient school infrastructure in KP Province.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Habitat Programme Manager (HPM) in Pakistan, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure the cleanliness of the office.
- Operating mechanical sweeping machine and occasional manual sweeping (including, emptying bins, dusting etc).
- Take keen interest for safeguarding the interests of office.
- Receiving and sorting daily mail
- Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs
- Facilitate staff to conduct document filling and archiving
- Maintain record of office utensils and other service items.
- Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor
- To ensure that lights and electric appliance are properly switched off while leaving the office.
- Ensure the office is properly locked while leaving the office.
- Promotes UN’s values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality)
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Excellent communication skills:
- Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners,
- Respectful and helpful relations with all UN staff
- Matric/High school certification
- 5-years of progressive working experience in performing office support services in national or international organizations
- Previous experience of working in the international organizations will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in English and Urdu is an advantage. Knowledge of local languages is essential.
Payments will be made monthly and based on deliverables over the contract period. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the contractor. The fee will be paid as per agreement.