United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) strives to promote gender equality and women’s human rights, strengthen implementation of gender sensitive policy and legislation, and eliminate all forms of violence against women as well as to protect women’s human rights. Attention is given to issues of excluded groups and their capacity to lobby so that these become part of mainstream decision making and planning. It provides technical advisory and services on women’s economic empowerment, ending violence against women and girls, women’s leadership and participation, including in disaster risk reduction and management and gender integration in planning and budgeting. UN Women works towards ensuring an effective UN response by strengthening the effectiveness, coordination, and quality of outputs on gender equality amongst the various stakeholders.
UN Women Pakistan is supporting national and provincial partners to end violence against women (EVAW) by strengthening rule of law, enhancing women’s access to justice, services and safe spaces and for this work requires the services of an EVAW Advisor who will support the activities of the EVAW, Governance and Human Rights Unit and provide technical input and advice for development and review of materials including, policies, proposals, plans, and knowledge products as well as the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of the Unit’s interventions.
UN Women Pakistan is seeking to hire an Advisor on EVAW to support the roll out and implementation of various programmes under the UN Women EVAW unit. The Advisor will be required to provide technical assistance including development of policy guidelines, advisory briefs and other related material to support the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of all the initiatives under the EVAW unit.
Under the direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager, the EVAW Advisor will be responsible for the following tasks:
· Provide high level advice, guidance and technical input to all programmes being implemented by the EVAW Unit
· Develop concept notes, position papers, briefing notes, or other material as needed
· Review materials developed by the Unit or received from external partners to provide valuable input, incorporating a gender and human rights lens for quality knowledge products and documents
· Coordinate closely with EVAW Unit at country office and provincial sub-offices for providing guidance to programme planning and implementation
· Participate in meetings/ events with government and other partners to keep them engaged in discussions on ongoing projects, new concepts/ proposals, and the way forward for collaborating
· Support the roll out and oversight of the GBV strategy for the AWAAZ II Joint Programme
· Develop and support the implementation of Rule of Law activities
· Coordinate and follow up on activities for the Essential Services Package, and ensure that the guidelines are incorporated in all UN Women’s work for improving quality of services for survivors of violence
· Undertake thorough technical review and quality assurance of all knowledge products (including but not limited to: Women Safety Audits, Training Manuals, assessments of response services, studies/ data collection on Violence Against Women)
· Coordinate regularly with partners working on similar interventions to obtain information and develop collaboration as relevant
· Liaise with EVAW experts in Regional Office on Asia Pacific/ UN Women HQ to get their technical input as needed
· Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working on policy development and capacity building with a gender lens;
· Strong inter-personal skills, communication, networking and team-building skills;
· Excellent oral communication skills and excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant findings for the preparation of quality papers and reports;
· Ability to deal with politically and culturally sensitive issues;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Shares knowledge and experience actively;
· Demonstrates commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
· Proficiency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
- Ability to build strong relationships with different stakeholders and focuses on impact
- Responds positively to feedback and take corrective actions
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in teams and assume leadership wherever necessary
- Ability to cope with high pressure and stress in an effective manner
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
§ Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
§ Strong ethics, a collaborative attitude and a passion for improving citizens’ lives
Master’s Degree in public policy, public administration, gender studies, social sciences or other relevant discipline.
· At least 10 years of relevant professional experience with specific emphasis on women’s rights, gender, human rights and Governance;
· Proven experience in a policy advisory role;
· Experience working with the Government, UN and other international organizations would be an advantage.
Fluency in English and Urdu (with excellent written proficiency is mandatory)
The incumbent will be required to travel frequently to field locations in Pakistan