Overview of the functions of the post:
UNESCO Islamabad Office is seeking to hire services of a Communications Officer to cater to the communications, reporting and visibility of UNESCO’s work particularly of Education sector. The communications officer will be responsible for conceptualising and developing knowledge management products for dissemination among stakeholders, drafting reports, proposals, concept/ policy papers and press releases to substantiate education programmes and projects results, while developing contents for website, and uploading them on the official website of UNESCO Islamabad office, etc. This entails regular interaction and coordination with the education team and other sectors of UNESCO Islamabad Office. Initially, the post is spreading over a period of six months, which may be extended later depending upon satisfactory performance and availability of the budget. The position involves travelling to the target areas, if needed.
Within this broader context, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Develop, implement, and monitor a communication and visibility plan. The plan must be in line with UNESCO’s guidelines to facilitate better understanding and projection of UNESCO’s work among local implementing partners, government counterparts and development partners, particularly, in relation to extra-budgetary programmes and projects.
2. Develop contents of various communications products, which include, inter alia, newsletters, press releases, presentations, update on UNESCO’s website, documenting and sharing human interest stories and best practices, developing leaflets and brochures etc.
3. Ensure visibility of UNESCO’s work through maintaining regular update of UNESCO’s website, twitter account and other social media accounts, and analyse qualitative and quantitative information and data to inform the overall advocacy and communication strategy of UNESCO.
4. Maintain a database of key print and electronic media in consultation with staff and develop close coordination for providing coverage of the events and ongoing projects.
5. Follow-up with media, especially leading newspaper agencies, to pick up on key events, workshops, conferences, and high-level meetings of UNESCO with senior government officials, parliamentarians, and development partners for visibility purposes.
6. With inputs from the sector colleagues and desk research, assist in drafting technical proposals, concept/ synthesis papers, policy briefs, and progress reports for sharing with government counterparts, donors, and UNESCO Headquarters.
7. Record human-interest stories in appropriate medium such as articles, photos, videos, for publications in the UNESCO’s website, Facebook page and other social media.
8. Provide communication related support to other sectors of UNESCO and undertake any other related responsibility as required by the Director/ Head of Education.
Perform any other task assigned by UNESCO Representative/ Director and Head of Education.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong knowledge of research, information communication and social marketing
- Demonstrates commitment to UNESCO’s mission, vision, and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Highest standard of integrity, discretion. and loyalty
Required Skills and experience
Master’s degree in journalism, media and communication or other related disciplines.
- Must have prior experience of working in communication, content development and social research with excellent understanding of ICT with strong social media skills
2. Excellent knowledge and understanding of developing and analysing technical reports and policy paper3. Proficient in developing reports and presentations using Microsoft Office (including Excel, Access, Project), SPSS, CorelDraw, and Adobe Photoshop4. Must have sound expertise and experience in working on content management system, such as Drupal, for working on the website5. Must have sound expertise and experience in documentation, advocacy, and communication. 6. Excellent analytical and report writing skills. Skills and Competencies
- High integrity and strong sense of responsibility
- Sound English speaking and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Word, Excel, PPT and other Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to independent work and problem solving
- Enhanced skills in documentation and archiving with proper referencing and easy access
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and efficiently in a team
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
Fluency in English and Urdu