Purpose of the post: To support the Polio Eradication Initiative (PEI) Team Leader(s) and Technical Staff in the conducting of technical and administrative tasks relevant to the implementation of all manner of Programme-related activities.
Organizational context: Under the direct supervision of the respective Technical Staff and the overall supervision of the WHO Representative; the Program Assistant will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Provide full administrative support to the management and Technical Staff. Draft, review and revise correspondence, reports and documents for proper format and content. Independently compose correspondence of administrative nature, take notes at meetings, provides informal interpretation/translation when required.
- Prepare and process travel requests (Local and International) using GSM/IDIMS, arrange for visa issuance, security clearance, flights and hotel bookings, follow up travel related issues of national and international missions and processing travel claims.
- Scan, record, refer and follow up correspondence and documents, evaluate their level of urgency or critical nature in order to bring them to the attention of the respective management as-and-when required. Inform and remind management about follow-up dates, response or specific actions, supplying supporting material as appropriate.
- Compile background material for planning, monitoring and evaluation (including mini-review) exercises. Maintain and update the filing of technical documents and correspondence (soft/hard copies and databases if applicable). Create background reference material as appropriate; access and retrieve relevant material.
- Finalize all administrative and logistics preparations required for the organization of meetings held in the country (working groups, seminars/courses, workshops) and pay per diem to participants as appropriate (if-and-when needed).
- Respond to and act on telephone enquiries in a timely manner. Assess the critical nature of technical issues and direct them to appropriate staff for reply. Coordinate appointments for the respective management
- Brief colleagues on general office administrative process. Assist/replace administrative staff in the team and perform other related duties as-and-when required. Participate in field visits, if required.
- Undertake any other tasks as requested by the management.
1. Demonstrates good skills and relevant knowledge of needs and priorities in own area (e.g. Possesses sound knowledge at country level).
2. Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve
3. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively.
Functional skills and experience:
1. At least five (5) years’ experience working in the humanitarian sector.
2. Previous work experience with an international organization desirable.
3. Previous experience working with data and information systems is an asset.
4. Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications, such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
5. Proven ability to process, analyze and interpret data.
Essential: Bachelor Degree in business, IT, and/or social sciences.
Desirable: Master Degree in business, IT and/or social sciences.
· Please make sure to update you P-11 form prior to submit your application. Incomplete or missing current/past employment information will not be entertained.
· Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply for this position.