United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) strives to promote gender equality and women’s human rights, strengthen implementation of gender sensitive policy and legislation, and eliminate all forms of violence against women as well as to protect women’s human rights. Attention is given to issues of excluded groups and their capacity to lobby so that these become part of mainstream decision making and planning. It provides technical advisory and services on women’s economic empowerment, ending violence against women and girls, women’s leadership and participation, including in disaster risk reduction and management and gender integration in planning and budgeting. UN Women works towards ensuring an effective UN response by strengthening the effectiveness, coordination, and quality of outputs on gender equality amongst the various stakeholders.
Specialized technical support on gender is required which will cut across all programming interventions, support research and analysis, and will be responsible for management and quality assurance of EVAW programs in Punjab.
Under the overall guidance of the Portfolio Manager, Ending Violence Against Women (EVAW), Governance and Women Human Rights (WHR), the EVAW & Governance Advisor leads her/his respective Unit at the provincial level (i.e. Punjab) within the dynamic portfolio of Ending Violence Against Women and Governance and Human Rights, UN Women, Pakistan.
Functions/Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager, EVAW & Governance Advisor will:
1. Design and develop Punjab specific programmes in EVAW and governance
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives; and
- Draft inputs to province specific strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other EVAW and governance related documents.
2. Provincial level programme project (s) management
- Finalize province specific annual workplan and budget and manage their implementation;
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/ projects;
- Ensure synergies with other teams;
- Manage the submission of province specific implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Monitor province specific programme/ projects implementation and finances using results based management (RBM) tools;
- Organize and facilitate field missions and review reports on monitoring missions;
- Write quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Develop needs based ToRs;
- Coordinate and oversee the programme related work undertaken by consultants at the provincial level to ensure quality assurance;
- Analyze and provide technical support on research documents; and
- Organize needs based programme/ project related reviews and evaluations, consultations and meetings.
3. Partnership management and resource mobilization
- Build and manage relationships with provincial government and non-government partners;
- Develop and implement partnerships at the provincial level;
- Lead the coordination for technical assistance to partners at the provincial level;
- Provide support to Programme Lead in proposal/ concept note development from a resource mobilization perspective.
- Coordinate at the provincial level with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure programme/ project harmonization and alignment with their priorities.
4. Manage advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to EVAW, governance and HR.
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to her/ his thematic portfolio as necessary;
- Develop province specific advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Develop knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies on EVAW, governance and HR for province specific programme and project (s).
5. Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on improved access to justice and rule of law for women to support women’s rights guaranteed through the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), Universal Declaration on Human Rights (UDHR) and the Constitution of Pakistan.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (word, excel, access, and outlook);
- Inter-cultural communication and people skills;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and function as part of a team;
- Strong facilitation skills and proven experience of bringing together different stakeholders to carry forward complex processes;
- Proven excellent analytical, report writing and organizational skills;
- Excellent knowledge of gender and development issues in Pakistan, especially gender equality, violence against women, and human rights;
- Creativity in the presentation of information through use of graphical, pictorial or other appropriate communication means;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
- Ability to build strong relationships with different stakeholders and focuses on impact
- Responds positively to feedback and take corrective actions
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in teams and assume leadership wherever necessary
- Ability to cope with high pressure and stress in an effective manner
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong ethics, a collaborative attitude and a passion for improving citizens’ lives
Recruitment Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree in law, international relations, public policy, gender studies, human rights or any relevant disciplines
- At least 4 years of relevant professional experience in gender related interventions with a specific focus on EVAW, human rights and gender equality in Punjab;
- Proven experience in policy analysis; proposal development and report writing
- Experience of UN inter-agency coordination is desirable; and
- Experience with the UN and other international organizations would be an advantage
L Fluency in English and Urdu (with excellent written proficiency is mandatory)
T The incumbent will be required to travel frequently to field locations in Pakistan
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process, candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts