Community Based Disaster Risk Management Specialist
National Project Personnel (NPP) ( First Shift (Day) )
social sciences or agriculture
Under the overall supervision of FAO Representative, in close collaboration with Deputy FAOR, Assistant Representative (Programme), and Resilience Programme Officer- and direct supervision of Project Coordinator the CBDRM Specialist will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Provide technical support and training to DFID supplier/ Downstream Implementing Partners (DIP) in the formation, coordination, guidance, supervision and implementation of CBDRM component;
- Coordinate with PDMAs, DDMAs, line departments, DFID supplier and other agencies to initiate high quality CBDRM activities, including identification and prioritization of adaptation/mitigation measures
- Guide the process and provide technical support for establishment DRM committees and risk assessment through hazard, livelihoods and vulnerability assessment etc.
- Support DIP in development of village/UCs level resilience strategies and implementation of preparedness, mitigation, prevention and adaptation activities.
- Mentor and provide hand on assistance to DIP through implementation of the project in accordance with agreed result framework;
- Support DIP in preparing the curricula for the training and awareness on DDR/M for key stakeholders.
- Prepare education materials and SOPs of potential interventions for well-coordinated and smooth implementation of mitigation/adaptation activities in the project areas.
- Facilitate programme technical unit and sectoral specialist in the impact of interventions in the project areas;
- Prepare TORs for required individual and institutional consultancy services, and expert technical support as may be required
- Prepare relevant annual work plans Support timely implementation of the CBDRM activities and their delivery in line with agreed quality and timelines
- Represent FAO at the relevant forum/networks conferences and platforms related to DRR/M.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to implementing partners on requiring services and inputs to obtain effective results;
- Support DIP through process of preparation technical reports, guidelines, field documents, and training materials to meet the needs of less literate farmers viz e viz extensive use of illustrations /graphics / pictorial) information for effective communication
- Facilitate the exchange of information and best practices across all provinces through publications, workshops and other events;
- Prepare case studies/ success stories and document lesson learned during the project implementation. Develop, document and disseminate appropriate best-practices in community-based approaches to support DRR/M;
- Perform any other relevant task as requested by the supervisor
- A minimum of eight years of relevant experience as a technical/ sectoral position of DRR/M and CBDRM projects focusing on rural area in Pakistan;
- A university degree in social sciences, or agriculture;
- Have sound understanding of community dynamic and social mobilization processes;
- Have excellent communication skills in English and local languages with demonstrated conceptual, analytical and report writing skills;
- Should also be adaptable to a multicultural and multi-disciplinary team environment, able to work co-operatively under sometimes severe work and resource constraint pressure, and be willing to undertake extensive field work in the rural areas of Pakistan.