The MoNHSR&C was established in May 2012 with the goal to provide national coordination in the field of public health and population welfare, oversight for provincial and national health regulatory bodies, enforcement of drug regulations, and coordination of preventive programs across the provinces, including regulation of medical profession and education.
Further, the MoNHSR&C being the custodian federal structure for bringing uniformity in healthcare delivery and ensuring quality of care is equitable across all provinces and regions of Pakistan, through setting standards and benchmarks; in addition the MoNHSR&C is the interface of Pakistan with the International World and has to report progress on International commitments.
To deliver to these functions, the MoNHSR&C requires proper skilled human resource at its disposal. Health Planning, System Strengthening & Information Analysis Unit (HPSIU) is established at MoNHSR&C, Islamabad with the support of the partners. However, sustainability of the unit can only be guaranteed, if there is a strong strategic vision, a dynamic ownership by Government and Health Development Partners alike, and a multi-stakeholder approach to maintaining, equipping, capacity building / training, and utilizing the unit to its expected potential.
To make this unit functional and fully capable of delivering to the desired intentions, MoNHSR&C intends to place appropriate, highly technically and efficient human resource at its disposal; to meet this end the MoNHSR&C intends to hire the services of a Health Systems Specialist having experience of having worked in the field of policy, planning and strategic frameworks in the Health Sector of Pakistan. Initially this position will be filled through partner support with future inclusion through developmental/regular budget.
In this context, the Mo NHSR&C intends to engage a Senior Health Systems Strengthening Specialist to facilitate and technically support the HPSIU.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The main scope of the Senior Health Systems Specialist at HPSIU would be;
1. Health Policy and Planning: Generate evidence and advice on strategic planning, strategic policy frameworks, appropriate regulations, and accountability systems at federal and provincial levels.
2. Tracking of progress on the National Health Vision: Coordinate with all stakeholders on the progress of achieving targets of the National Health Vision / Framework and its leading role in strategy and policy setting in health. Guide the HPSIUs main deliverables through linking these with the overall political and environmental context and global SDGs (2016-2030). He would also develop the Strategic Framework for implementation of National Vision document.
3. Health System Strengthening activities in the Country: The Senior Health Systems Specialist will promote a common understanding amongst all stakeholders regarding health systems strengthening measures; where investment would be needed, what results to expect, and how to monitor the desired change. Moreover, he would provide guidance and support on how the Health System can function and perform better and align with various health systems initiatives within the country, in order to achieve enhanced efficiency by improving governance and avoiding duplications.
4. Health Information Analysis: The Senior Health Systems Specialist will provide the necessary stewardship for building a well- functioning integrated Health Information System in coordination with the HIS team at the HPSIU. Such robust information system is envisioned to become the back bone for a competent monitoring and evaluation system and decision making at the MoNHSR&C with specific focus on SDGs and policy/advocacy perspectives.
5. Provincial Support and Linkages: The Senior Health Systems Specialist, will develop linkages with Provincial Health Sector Reform Units / Planning and Policy Units; he would be expected to liaise with line ministries, international and national partners in health sector on issues related to health systems, planning and analysis.
6. Health Sector Reform Process: The Senior Health Systems Specialist is expected to study the reform process going around the globe especially in developing world and advice MoNHSR&C and provincial HSRUs with appropriate advice keeping in view the local context and environment.
7. Technical Guidance for Oversight and accountability of Donor/HDP investments in Health Systems Strengthening including donor mapping and identification of technical assistance (TA).
8. Technical Guidance and facilitation for adoption of integrated Health Systems approach in the Health Sector in Pakistan. Support and facilitate integrated approach in planning, coordination and monitoring between Health and relevant line Ministries at the federal and provincial level.
9. Develop and implement joint health sector performance review mechanism with defined KPIs/indicators in the context of, existing National Health Vision Goals, Provincial Health Sector Strategies outcomes, SDGs Goals and International Commitments, linked with National HSS Dashboard.
10. Progress on SDGs: The Senior Health Systems Specialist in coordination with all stakeholders will be developing Papers / Reports on implementation status of Goal three pertaining to health sector in SDGs and also liaise with other stakeholders in this context.
11. Develop Policy Papers/Briefs: Through peer reviews of various journals / publications on major topics in health system development in Pakistan and around the globe, analysis of surveys and DHIS reports the Senior Health Systems Specialist is expected to develop policy papers for decision makers. Moreover, he is expected to provide stewardship and technical guidance to experts/officials working in HPSIU on key health matters and provide Senior Government Officials attending international meetings, conferences and proceeding of EB, RC and WHA with briefs if required.
12. Support and work for development of an integrated approach in planning, coordination and monitoring between Health and relevant line Ministries at the federal, provincial and district levels.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Medical Doctor with Post graduate degree in public health with specialisation in health policy and systems development from a recognized institution.
At least 10 years experience of working in health sector in Pakistan (more specifically in the public sector and across both public and private sector in general).
Experience of working and coordinating with the development partners, national and international NGOs.
In-depth knowledge of the health sector reform initiatives and devolution process.
Knowledge and working experience of donors supported project management and procedures.
Strong management and team building skills, ability to work under pressure, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders.
Experience/knowledge in public financial systems including cost effective and cost efficiency analysis
Excellent report writing, communication and presentation skills.
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, and internet search engines as well as surveillance databases.
1- Activity Work plan
2- Mid and End Assignment Report.
3- Health sector performance review mechanism with defined KPIs/indicators
4- HSS Mapping Matrix defined and maintained HPSIU
5- Policy briefs and Technical Papers/Publications
6- Briefs / Analysis reports for International and National Forums/Meetings.
Strengthened HPSIU to enact its constitutional Mandate of providing technical and policy guidance, coordination support and oversight to Provinces, Federating areas and Health Development Partners/Donors for improved Health Systems performance.
Excellent knowledge of English and local languages.
The incumbent will be based at the HPSIU, Islamabad, reporting directly to the Director Programs and the DG Health MoNHSR&C.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT: Initially for a period of 6 months
REMUNERATION: Will be based on the defined organizational rates applied to the scope of work.
SELECTION WILL BE PRIMARILY MADE BY AN EXPERT PANEL BASED ON RIGOROUS REVIEW OF THE CVs OF SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES; FOLLOWED BY INTERVIEW(S), IF REQUIRED
Interested candidates are advised to apply online. Applications received through any other mean would not be accepted/considered.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
WHO only considers higher educational qualification obtained from an accredited institution.
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.