United Nations Population (UNFPA), is currently working with the Punjab Commission on the Status Women (PCSW) to conduct studies and surveys on the social and economic wellbeing of women in the province and to support setting systems and benchmarks for generating data on gender-related SDG indicators. In this regard, the UNFPA is looking to hire an experienced Gender Advisor to coordinate project implementation with the UNFPA implementing partners, participating UN agencies and DFID.
Organizational Location and Job Purpose:
This is Islamabad based position, however, the incumbent will be required to undertake periodic missions to Lahore, provincial divisional cities and to the districts which are selected for project implementation. Under the overall supervision and strategic guidance of Deputy Representative, she/he will directly report to the Gender Specialist and will support the supervisor in providing technical and programmatic advisory services to Project Management Unit (PMU) of the PCSW. She/he will coordinate and will work closely with PMU, other UN participating agencies, DFID and will contribute substantively for the project implementation, monitoring and reporting the project progress.
Major Activities/Expected Results:
1. Act as focal point during the project implementation for all partners such as PCSW, participating UN agencies and DFID;
2. Ensure that all project activities are in line with the policies and priorities of the Punjab Government and also with key international frameworks and conventions such as CEDAW;
3. Provide technical inputs in all the processes related to studies, surveys and other initiatives which are part of the project and follow up their timely implementation as outlined in the project document and agreed with the implementing partners;
4. Provide technical assistance to implementing partners which include PCSW and Punjab Bureau of Statistics with regards to Workplans development and implementation;
5. Undertake missions to coordinate, supervise and monitor the field-level activities;
6. Coordinate with implementing partners and ensure that all quarterly reports such as FACE forms and Workplan progress reports are submitted to the UNFPA within the quarterly deadline;
7. Conduct quarterly Workplan progress review meetings with relevant implementing partners.
8. Support the development of messaging on gender sensitive interventions of the project;
9. Provide regularly the progress of project implementation to Gender Specialist and senior management;
10. Coordinate with all partners and represent UNFPA on all matters with regards to implementation and during project progress review;
11. Ensure timely submission of project progress reports to UNFPA HQ.
12. Prepare the project progress reports and submit to DFID, as required;
13. Ensure knowledge management and reporting with gender disaggregated data where possible;
14. Document best practices and lessons learned, if any;
15. Perform any other duties as required and advised by the supervisor and management.
The Programme Analyst will provide technical guidance and will maintain collaborative relationship with UNFPA provincial team based in Lahore, country office programme and operations teams and management.
She/he will facilitate the work of consultants, if any hired during the project implementation, and will be required to establish/maintain collaborative relationship with implementing partners, UN, development partners, donors and other key stakeholders.
Master’s degree in Gender, social anthropology, law and women’s rights, sociology, gender, cultural studies, or other field directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post.
Knowledge and Experience:
At least 5 years of substantive experience at national level senior programmatic position with recognized expertise and experience in Gender, particularly in advocacy and promoting gender mainstreaming;
. Knowledge of CEDAW, and other related international Conventions & instruments;
· Knowledge of Pakistan's national and international commitments related to women;
· Understanding of gender and human rights and women’s human rights is essential;
· Intellectual and operational capacity in providing advisory services to the partners;
· Substantial level of self-organization, being methodical, and paying attention to details;
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English and Urdu and experience in report writing and editing in these languages;
· Ability to work under pressure, change and complexity and achieving results.
· Exemplifying integrity
· Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
· Embracing cultural diversity
· Embracing change
· Achieving results
· Being accountable
· Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
· Thinking analytically and strategically
· Workings in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
· Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
· Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
· Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
· Delivering results-based programme
· Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization Required Skills