The External Relations Associate is supervised by the Head of Sub-Office. The incumbent receives regular guidance and advice from the supervisor as well as from the Branch Office. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staffs from the Sub-office and also from External Relations and Public Information units at the Branch Office.
External contacts are generally with a broad range of officials from national and international institutions, media or general public involving the exchange of a wide range of information. He/she plays a key role in organising the visits of foreign delegations, donors, press and media, providing regular briefings and drafting reports/materials for external partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Missions from donors, external partners, the press and media are supported with field visits and accurate briefing materials
- External partners are informed regularly on all aspects and the status of UNHCR operations.
- The Sub-office is kept informed of local developments of interest to UNHCR.
- Evolving issues concerning refugees are monitored to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media coverage.
- Close contacts be maintained internally with all Sections and externally with all partners, UN agencies to gather analyses and disseminate information about UNHCR activities.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Provide background briefings to local media.
- Keep track of and document evolving issues concerning persons of concern to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
- Draft briefing notes, talking points, minutes and other papers for the high level meetings and visits.
- Ensure visibility of projects funded by donors and organize visibility events (e.g. World Refugee Day) and liaise with partners, refugees and local communities on implementation.
- Plan advertisements, exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR's aims, activities and accomplishments by the general public and/or organized groups.
- Provide daily/weekly briefings verbally and/or in writing on local developments to the Head of Sub-office; and consolidate/ensure that public information materials including fact sheets, information brochures, and briefing materials from the Sub-Office, etc. are prepared and disseminate to external partners.
- Accompany visits of foreign delegations and the media to refugee sites, giving appropriate briefings, commentaries and prepare briefing material for visitors.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with the provincial government, NGOs, and UN agencies to develop cooperation in inter-related activities and promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues;
- Ensure that the office is kept informed of local developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office's activities.
- Compile information and SitReps received from the sections within the Office and consolidate into weekly/monthly/quarterly report.
- Prepare and distribute minutes of the co-ordination meetings that are held periodically in the area of responsibility;
- Advise the Head of Sub-office of local aspects of external relations policies
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Establish contacts with external partners and local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues on behalf of UNHCR.
- Organize the management and distribution of UNHCR publications and visibility materials, and share them to various institutions and individuals to respond to the interest of the public on refugee issues.
- Draft reports and briefings for internal and external partners.