The UNFPA Pakistan supported Provincial Government of Sindh to formulate Sindh Population Policy. The Policy was approved by the Chief Minister of Sindh in August 2016 and launched in December 2016 by Senior Ministers of Provincial Government representing the Chief Minister, which has garnered a high level political commitment at the provincial level. The Costed Implementation Plan for FP2020 has been well internalized in the Policy.
The Sind Population Policy 2016 vision is Promoting a prosperous, healthy, educated and knowledge-based society where all citizens are provided opportunities to access information and quality services about Family Planning and reproductive health care. Major objectives include achieving the replacement fertility rate (2.1 births per women) by 2035; increase CPR from 30% in 2015 to 45% by 2020, achieve universal access to safe and quality reproductive health/family planning services by 2020, Increase access to family planning and reproductive health services to the most remote and farthest areas of the province by 2017, reduce unmet need for family planning from 21 to 14 per cent by 2020, attain a decrease in fertility level from 3.9 (2013) to 3.0 births per woman by the year 2020 and ensure contraceptive commodity security up to 80% for all public sector service outlets by 2018. Programmatic focus areas include: (1) Enhancing access to FP through expansion of coverage and removing barriers to access including inducting more service centres, and providers in communities, task shifting, strengthening postpartum FP, changing method mix including focus on long-acting methods; (2) Quality of service delivery; (3) Commodities security and Special areas of attention that include Male Involvement, focusing on youth and adolescents and care of elderly population.
The Policy document has been widely distributed to stakeholders including Government departments, district authorities, development partners, civil society organisations, media and key opinion makers and I/NGOs in the Province. The stakeholders are largely sensitised to address the issue of population growth by reducing fertility and ensuring sexual and reproductive rights of people, including of adolescent and youth, are fulfilled. Nevertheless, there is a realisation to translate the vision into actionable strategies / activities by formulating a Plan/ Framework for the implementation of the Policy. The Framework will be developed in consultation with key stakeholders including provincial departments, relevant vertical programmes in sectors like Health, FP2020 Group, SDG Cell, DPs, I/NGOs, CSOs and others relevant. Because rapid population growth is a cross cutting issue hence a holistic and multi-sectoral approach is needed to address it by integrating it into the relevant initiatives/programs/projects of Government of Sindh. Population Welfare Department will lead the formulation of the Sindh Population Policy Implementation Framework in close liaison / coordination with Planning and Development Board Sindh.
UNFPA has committed to provide technical assistance to Population Welfare Department to develop an Implementation Framework for the Policy in 2017.
The Consultant will perform the following responsibilities.
Facilitate stakeholders consultation workshop (2 events: draft, and
post-draft for final inputs )
Participate/facilitate the proceedings of Technical working Group, which would be constituted by the GoS.
- Drafting the Population Policy Implementation Framework
- Prepare a draft Framework based on desk review, consultations (pre and post draft) and further inputs from TWG members
- Submit the draft Sindh population Policy Implementation Plan/ Framework to Population Welfare Department and P&D Board Sindh for further approval and internalisation in development programmes.
Duration and working schedule:
Duration of the consultancy is 45 working days over a period of 90 days
Place where services are to be delivered:
Services are to be delivered in Karachi
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
Inception report: within 15 days of signing the contract (Payment of 20% of total fee)
First draft of the Implementation Plan/ Framework: within 60 days of signing the contract following first broad consultative workshop (Payment of 50% of total fee)
Final draft: within 90 days of signing the contract in the form acceptable to Population Welfare Department and P&D Board Sindh. (Payment of 30% of total fee)
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline:
Through regular update and communication through interpersonal communication and emails.
Reports to the International Programme Coordinator/ Head of Sindh Office of UNFPA and work closely with Member-Social Sector of Planning and development Board Sindh
Within Karachi for which UNFPA vehicle will be provided as per need for meetings
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
Advance degree, preferably PhD, in public health, population, demography, public policy and/or other related social sciences.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience - preferably but not exclusively in developing countries - with a comprehensive and in-depth experience and proven expertise in development, implementation and assessment of population policy and programs;
- Familiarity to Pakistans population contexts including but not limited to reproductive health, family planning, youth, social conditions, economic opportunities, infrastructure related issues in general and Sindh contexts in particular;
- Knowledgeable about government architecture and roles, engagement of key departments and non-government sectors in Sindh;
- Demonstrated professional leadership and ability to coordinate with a multi-stakeholder team of professionals in development sector;
- Excellent facilitation skills and substantive experience of working with public sector especially in policy and strategy planning and advocacy;
- Demonstrated ability of making effective presentations to diverse audiences.
Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage.
Excellent spoken and written English is required. Familiarity with local language will be an advantage.
Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner (e.g. support services, office space, equipment), if applicable:
The consultancy is home based
Other relevant information or special conditions, if any:
Receives technical advice from UNFPA Country Office (CO) Islamabad and Asia Pacific Regional Office (APRO) Bangkok.
Signature of Requesting Officer in Hiring Office: