Purpose of the post: To support in the implementation of training activities related to the Polio Eradication Initiative (PEI) Programme in all districts of the province, through which personnel at all functional levels are taught the key technical and strategic aspects of their interventions in the Programme, to facilitate and ensure their effective performance when carrying out their roles.
Overview of the Programme: The continued transmission of poliovirus in Pakistan has become a national emergency. Pakistan now risks becoming the last remaining reservoir of endemic poliovirus transmission in the World and the only remaining threat to achieving polio eradication globally. Recently the Polio Programme has made tremendous progress by reaching and vaccinating persistently missed children and detecting and responding rapidly to the presence of the polio virus whenever and wherever it is identified. The Programme is assessed regularly by panels of experts and on the basis of their recommendations; revisions have to be subsequently made that affect its strategic direction. In so doing, its personnel need to be re-oriented accordingly. Furthermore, refresher workshops are also undertaken periodically to maintain the technical capacity of personnel at its highest level, in addition to induction trainings for new personnel who are regularly coming on board to fill new and/or recently vacated posts.
Organizational context: Under the direct supervision of the Provincial Polio Team Leader, the Training Coordinator and the overall supervision of the Federal Polio Team Leader and WHO Representative, the incumbent will be responsible for performing the following duties:
1. Build the capacity of health workers to improve their skills and knowledge of the Polio Programme.
2. Identify and assess training needs for the Polio Programme
3. Assist in developing training programs and curriculum for Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIA), as well as Acute Flacid Paralysis (AFP) Surveillance activities.
4. Advise the provincial and district-level authorities on training policies and practices.
5. Plan for training courses and prepare training materials for the PEI/Expanded Programme of Immunizations (EPI) team, in coordination with the Provincial Team Leader and the Training Coordinator.
6. Participate in the Training Task Force at provincial level and share the minutes with the federal/provincial officers as well as WHO partners and other UN agencies.
7. Support the Training Task Force in the collection and revision of the training materials.
8. Conduct and facilitate training sessions.
9. Monitor and evaluate training courses.
10. Assist the Training Coordinator in the compilation of the quarterly training plan.
11. Prepare and provide training reports to the Training Coordinator.
12. Prepare training budgets and keep records on implementation of training activities which have been funded.
- Demonstrates the required skills in relevant/required work area and ability to carry out work independently.
- Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self-awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance.
- Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively.
- Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities.
- Seeks to understand internal synergies between own and others work within the Organization.
7. Ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions.
8. Demonstrates integrity by modeling the international values and ethical standards of the United Nations.
9. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues.
10. Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
11. Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and propose new approaches.
Professional experience and skills
Five years of proven experience in capacity building and training in a large-scale enterprise.
Basic knowledge of adult learning principles.
Budgetary and planning skills related to the implementation of training activities.
Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (eg. Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
Knowledge and experience of working on public health issues would be an asset.
Masters degree in the Social Sciences is essential.
Training certificates will be given due consideration.