The Associate Admin/Finance Officer will assist the Snr. Admin/Finance Officer in establishing, maintaining and implementing efficient administrative and financial control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UNHCR and UN administrative, human resources and financial rules and procedures. He/she works closely with the Snr Admin/Finance Officer on all matters related to the above mentioned.
Frequent external contacts with counterparts in other UN organizations or at working level in national Governments i.e. MFA, on issues of importance to Organization’s programmes will be necessary. He/she acts as adviser or representative of the Organization with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
- UNHCR premises for the country operation are managed in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and provide a healthy, safe and respectful working environment.
- UNHCR's financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures are adhered to by the country operation.
- UNHCR’s local cash is safeguarded.
- Assist in the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office.
- Contribute to providing a healthy and respectful working environment, free from hazard or security risks.
- Assist with the implementation of processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls in line with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Participate in the physical verification of UNHCR property plant and equipment.
- Participate in the recruitment and appointment process, and assist with administrative formalities concerning local General Service staff.
- Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas;.
- Contribute to the process to determine the country’s budget.
- Provide guidance and support on UNHCR's internal control framework, financial rules, policies and procedures.
- Identify potential risks in relation to the financial management of the office, and propose mitigating action to senior management, when applicable.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Control and check the monthly accounts and various administrative activities, in order to verify and certify disbursements are in accordance with the administrative budget and UNHCR’s Financial Rules.
- Provide training on financial matters.
- Participate in the interview process for the recruitment of local staff.
- Certify that disbursements are in accordance with the administrative budget and UNHCR’s Financial Rules.
- Approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Prepare financial status reports
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent).
- Working experience of at least one year in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar).
- Good knowledge of United Nations administrative, human resources and financial rules and procedures.
- Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial and/or HR modules.