Description of Duties:
The communications officer will work under the direct supervision of the Federal Communications Officer/Polio Team Lead Country Support and overall take guidance from the WHO Polio team leader, as part of a cross-functional team in the Pakistan Polio Eradication (PEI) National Emergency Operation Centre (NEOC) and in support of the WHO Communications Unit:
1. Provide technical guidance and input into PEI partnership communications materials and initiatives under EOC
o Support the development of PEI national communications strategy as implemented by the Communications Unit at the Emergency Operations Centre: ie development of operational guidelines, media SOPs, Risk Communications messages, media spokespersons & influencers list, audience and channel analysis
o Development of the Narrative for national and international audiences to guide external communications around PEI.
o Key Messages and Talking Points for key program spokesperson ahead of interviews or events
o Provide support to provincial communications officers under EOC for the development of localised messages for provincial spokespersons
2. Support WHO technical team by coordinating communications materials and products for internal and external audiences for WHO
o Preparation of talking points and key messages for WHO spokesperson ahead of key polio events including but not limited to interviews with media, donor briefings, key partnership meetings
o Preparation of technical reports and presentations, background briefings on the programme and/or specific initiatives,
o Work with the External Relations team on the preparation of WHO donor updates
o Synthesise technical information into easy to understand products fora range of non-technical audiences ie producing media/donor snapshots, infographics for social media
o Coordinate with the WHO procurement team and external companies for production of materials: photographers, videographers, designers and printers
3. Support community engagement strategies under the High Risk Populations Unit (religious support persons) as required
o Provide additional support to timely implementation of work of RSPs, coordinating with the Religious Support Officers in Federal and Provincial Offices.
o Support the Social Mobilisation Task Team in the development of strategy and analysis of interventions.
o Attend and provide close follow up to the recommendations and action points from Social Mobilisation Task Team meetings
4. Support media events and interactions such as press briefings, journalist interviews and journalist/donor field visits as directed by WHO/EOC
o Provide technical feedback into preparation of materials and content ahead of such events
o Coordinate on logistics as is needed with partners/EOC for localised events and international events featuring the Pakistan programme
o Provide input into training sessions for spokespersons for the programme.
o Organize and conduct communication capacity building/coordination meetings internally for WHO when needed
5. Maintain WHO Pakistan/Polio, Global Polio Eradication Initiative and Pakistan PEI website with content creation to highlight progress and activities of WHO and the PEI partnership
o Stories from the field highlighting particular initiatives of the programme.
o Research technical stories for input into research papers written by technical members of the programme
o Skills to edit English writing for stories, technical papers and reports
6. Maintain federal database of audio/visual materials captured in the field by WHO Communications officers and PEI staff.
o Working with the provincial communications officers collect and manage multimedia materials from the field
o Working with external media companies to document field activities that capture WHO contribution to PEI
o Make database/archived materials available to WHO offices (HQ, Regional, Amman hub and country team) when needed
o Ability to capture materials in the field with WHO camera and contribute to building WHO database
7. Other activities as assigned by the supervisor
Skills & Competencies:
1) Communicating in a credible and effective way 2) Producing results 3) Moving forward in a changing environment
4) Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences 5) Fostering integration and teamwork
Functional Skills and Knowledge: 1. Proven skills in the development and implementation of communications/media products, including relations with the press and media. 2. Excellent interpersonal skills. 3. Ability to work under pressure while producing results. 4. Ability to "think out of the box" and to make innovative proposals as related to communication.
5. Tact, discretion and diplomacy.
Other essential skills:
1. Computer literacy. 2. Excellent presentation skills, with proven ability to write in English in a clear and concise manner. 3. Knowledge or skills in visual design, website development.
Essential: At least 5 years of experience as a journalist or in a media organization (television, radio and/or print), at national or international level, or in the organization involved in information and communications projects.
Desirable: Experience in planning and implementing media and communications projects, including the development of audio and visual materials and tools. Knowledge or understanding of WHO mandate and goals or experience in similar positions in the UN or NGO
Essential: English Desirable: Urdu and/or Pashto Good knowledge of another WHO Official language a definite asset.
- Only nationals of the country will be considered for this position. - Applicants are urged to ensure that their Personal History Form is updated at the time of applying. - Applicants are kindly requested to pay attention to the screening questions as they will be used to screen out unqualified candidates. - Only qualified applicants with the relevant experience will be considered. - A written test/presentation and interviews will be used as a form of screening. The written test might be used as an eliminatory tool. - Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice. - Interviews will include competency-based questions. - This vacancy is published in English only