Comprehensive reduction and elimination of Persistent Organic Pollutants in Pakistan
Objectives of this project are reducing human health and environmental risks by enhancing management capacities and disposal of POPs in Pakistan through: i) the development and implementation of a regulatory, policy and enforcement system to reduce POPs releases and to regulate POPs waste disposal; ii) capacity building to reduce exposure to and releases of POPs; iii) collection, transport and disposal of 300t of PCB and 1200t of POPS Pesticides .The elimination of POPs pesticide stockpiles became even more urgent after the 2010 floods which damaged some of the storage sites of hazardous chemicals and pesticides. To ensure environmentally sound disposal of POPs, a facility to be upgraded, tested and permitted in compliance with Stockholm Convention BAT/BEP. As an alternative, the project will however keep open the option of shipment of POPs waste abroad for disposal, in compliance with the Basel Convention, if at an early stage it will result evident that the POPs cannot be disposed of using the technologies available in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities This assignment is for a full time PMU Technical Advisor who will be recruited with the objective to provide PMU with technical assistance and advice on all the activities to be carried out under the Project, to help on routine technical coordination and supervision and to prepare or assist in the preparation of relevant project documentation and training materials. The TA will work under overall supervision of Project Manager.
The Technical Advisor will, in general, be responsible for:
1. Assisting PMU in drafting the inception report of the project
2. Assisting PMU in overall technical management and coordination of all project activities
3. Technical support to PMU on the supervision of all the technical activities related to institutional strengthening, policy framework, POPs and PCB management and disposal, project monitoring and evaluation, and replication program development
4. Technical support to PMU in participating in meetings with UNDP and the MoCC
5. Technical support to PMU in coordinating the work of international consultants
6. Providing comments on project implementation progress at different stages
7. Assisting PMU in drafting Term of References for all the services and equipment to be procured under the project
8. Assisting PMU in drafting technical reports and management reports like the Project Implementation Reports, (PIR), Annual and Quarterly Progress Reports (APR, QPR) and Annual and Quarterly Workplans (AWP, QWP)
9. Assist PMU in drafting minutes of the meetings with special reference to the technical part
10. Perform site visits and inspections at project implementation sites during various implementation stages (storage facilities, PCB reclamation workshops, disposal facilities, trainings)
11. Provide comments on the reports related to the technical activities and review the related plan under the Project to ensure their technical feasibility and most appropriate measures and actions taken
12. Supervise the work of local waste treatment companies that will undertake POPs disposal activities to guarantee the quality and consistency of the reports and deliverables, and help them finalize reports before their dissemination to concerned parties
13. Timely and proactively provide recommendation for the improvement of all project activities.