The UNESCO Pakistan culture team works closely with relevant stakeholders including the Government (s) civil society, local NGO’s and academia to support the Government in the protection and promotion of cultural heritage.
UNESCO collaborates with the Government of Punjab regarding the implementation of the World Bank funded project, “Protection and Promotion of Cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth”. Based on its mandate and experience, UNESCO provides technical assistance to Government of Punjab in developing management plans of selected heritage sites and museums and build the capacity of relevant institutions in sustainable management and protection of the sites. The project also focuses on mapping other cultural resources in the vicinity of selected sites and engage the local community through capacity building opportunities to promote the cultural and creative industries, tourism and livelihood.
B) OVERALL GOAL AND KEY RESULTS EXPECTED:
The project associate will be responsible to provide support to the overall implementation of the project entitled, “Protection and Promotion of Cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth” and will specifically support in identifying and engaging partners, contribute to the travel and contractual arrangements, preparing events and from a logistical perspective assist in coordination and implementation of activities.
C) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall authority and supervision of the head of UNESCO Office in Islamabad and close collaboration with Head of Culture, PRMP, Government of Punjab, the incumbent will provide support in the implementation and coordination of all the activities carried out under the project, “Protection and promotion of cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable tourism and economic growth” in the Punjab province. In particular the incumbent will:
1. Learn and efficiently use the UNESCO’s online systems for Contract management, SISTER, Travel, B4U etc.
2. Provide support in Identifying and engaging appropriate partner organization and experts for the implementation of the project activities and develop their TORs.
3. Work closely with the partners responsible for the implementation of activities and monitor their contracts and progress to ensure the timely delivery of the assignments as per agreed contract.
4. While taking full responsibility, provide support in the implementation of project activities including organizing training workshops, meetings and other events in relation to the assigned projects and keep accounts of all payments made to participants, vendors as per UNESCO rules regulations.
5. Assist in developing the required materials for meeting and workshops such as power-point presentations, project briefs and other supporting documents relating to various meetings, conferences and seminars.
6. Estimate costs and prepare detailed budgets for projects activities and contracts using UNESCO formats.
7. Prepare status reports of contracts, reminders, and follow-up with the contractors and implementing partners.
8. Monitor the progress of the Regular Programmes and other Extra-budgetary projects and activities; maintain record of correspondence, progress reports, and budget position of the projects.
9. Examine and process various claims of payments/payment requests from the contractors or implementation partners, in accordance with UNESCO rules and provisions.
10. Liaise with the UNESCO Admin. platform in the implementation of above mentioned points 1-9.
Perform any other duty assigned by the Director of the office and head of culture section.
) REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
Minimum Bachelor degree ( or equivalent) in the field of Management, social and human sciences or related field.
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the assisting implementation of projects preferably culture and heritage management.
Effective spoken and written skill in English and Urdu.
Basic knowledge of UNESCO work
Strong IT skill specially in Ms-Excel, MS-Word, Web
Good communication and coordination skills. Ability to work in a team of cross-cultural environment, ability to develop good working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations. Required Skills