In Pakistan, UNESCO has been contributing for both upstream policy and technical support to the Government institutions, as well as multi-sector project interventions to create an evidence for an informed policy formulation in education, science, culture and communication sectors. The main focus of the UNESCO’s Education sector interventions, inter alia, is currently on improving girls’ education through a well-orchestrated, multi-year Girls’ Right to Education Programme (GREP) in Pakistan. The programme aims at improving enrolment, retention and quality of girls’ primary education in marginalized areas of the country while introducing institutional and community based interventions at different levels. With the initial funding from the Government of Pakistan, other donors are collaborating with UNESCO to expand the programme outreach to other areas of the country. The programme is presently in progress in thirteen districts in four provinces and four special areas of Pakistan.
UNESCO Islamabad is seeking to hire a Project Officer to join the Education Team in Islamabad. Initially the contract will be issued for one year with three month probation period and possibility of extension provided that performance is fully satisfactory and adequate funding is available for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
1. Ensuring sound management of the GREP in compliance with UNESCO and specific donor requirements and in collaboration with concerned government counterparts;
2. Coordinating planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities of the GREP within UNESCO Islamabad, implementing partners and provincial/ area governments;
3. Ensuring the GREP implementation in the assigned areas according to UNESCO’s guidelines and procedures.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the following assignments:
1. Provide management and coordination support to GREP implementation in the target areas as per agreed work plans and performance milestones;
2. Oversee the overall programme implementation in Balochsitan and/ or in any other province/ area assigned by the Director UNESCO;
3. Ensure collaboration with local implementing partners, relevant provincial government stakeholders and local civil society for smooth implementation of the programme activities;
4. Coordinate the development of M&E plan for target areas, ensure timely availability of data from local implementing partners in the on-line M&E system and update the M&E plan as required;
5. Provide support in knowledge generation and dissemination through documenting results, success stories and lessons learned and sharing them through different media;
6. Develop work plans, reports, presentations and background papers based on the analysis of information and data available on programme implementation in the target areas;
7. Represent UNESCO Islamabad in provincial/ area meetings, workshops and seminars and take recommended follow-up actions;
8. Prepare terms of reference and work assignments for consultants, partners, and sub-contractors to be involved in UNESCO’s education sector activities;
9. Carry out any other related activity as assigned.
Expected Outputs and Key Deliverables
The objective of the assignment is to contribute towards progress against the established benchmarks and expected outputs as outlined in the programme/ project frameworks, as well ensure that interventions have been contributing towards the overall goal of improving girls’ right to education in the marginalized areas of Pakistan.
In view of the above, the Project Officer (Education) will ensure the submission of a monthly activity report highlighting key achievements and activities carried out during the period.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNESCO’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and adaptability;
- Highest standard of integrity, discretion and loyalty
Required skills and experience
a. Advanced master degree in Education or Social Science, or similar field from a recognized national or international university.
b. Minimum of 2 to 3 years of professional experience in programme planning, and management, coordination and M&E preferably with experience from educational programming and research.
c. Some experience of working in Balochistan province and good understanding of girls issues in education preferred.
d. Good Knowledge and understanding of the government functioning at federal and/or provincial level.
e. Solid understanding of the education systems in Pakistan, particularly girls’ education, its key challenges and possible solutions.
f. Knowledge and understanding of participatory development practices.
g. Familiarity with UN/ UNESCO operations in Pakistan is desirable.
h. Solid analytical and conceptualization skills, and excellent English drafting and presentation skills. Fluency in Urdu and preferably in other local languages.
i. Comfortable with working in a multicultural work place, solid team skills.
Note: The position entails regular travelling to provinces and districts of Pakistan. Women are especially encouraged to apply.