Purpose of consultancy:
Under the 9th Country Programme of Assistance to the Government of Pakistan (2016-2022), UNFPA is undertaking various programs in the area of Gender, GBV, Family Planning and Reproductive Health in the provinces and federating areas/regions.
With this context, the Country Office is seeking the services of a Finance/Quality Assurance Consultant to provide financial management, quality assurance and administrative support to Implementing Partners (IPs) for timely and effective programme delivery, monitoring and reporting, in line with UNFPA policies and procedures.
Under the supervision of the International Operations Manager and the guidance of the Programme Specialist (Gender and Family Planning) the Consultant will provide support to Implementing Partners in various provinces, working closely with the UNFPA Country Office Programme, and Operations Team.
The Finance/Quality Assurance Consultant will:
● Build/strengthen skills of Implementing Partners on financial management, administration, procurement and results-based planning and reporting;
● Assist Implementing Partners to establish/strengthen systems for accountability and reporting; and
● Provide on-going support and guidance to Implementing Partners to ensure compliance with policies, rules and regulations, and that value-for-money principles are observed in planning, budgeting and programme delivery.
1) Conduct an assessment of existing financial, administrative, procurement and programme management systems, procedures and practices and recommend measures to address gaps.
2) Where required, assist IPs to draft policies, SOPs, and other quality assurance tools.
3) Identify training needs and organize training/orientation sessions to build skills among Implementing Partners on the application of UNFPA and Government policies and systems.
4) Support and guide results-based planning and cost-efficient budgeting.
5) Undertake quality assurance checks of advances, expenditures and other financial, administrative, procurement and programme documents and records to ensure accuracy, compliance and accurate classification and recording in line with policies and procedures.
6) Conduct spot-checks and submit reports to UNFPA Management, with recommendations on how to address any identified weak areas and potential risks.
7) Based on the HACT micro assessment and other assessments, prepare a risk-management plan and provide guidance to Implementing Partners on how to mitigate identified risks.
8) Regularly monitor the project budget through manual and system generated reports and present financial trends (i.e. utilization and implementation rates) to UNFPA Management.
9) Assist Implementing Partners to prepare budgets, quarterly advance requests through corporate planning, reporting and monitoring tools;
10) Assist Implementing Partners in the preparation of monthly bank reconciliation statements of the project bank account.
11) Participate in staff recruitment processes to ensure compliance with UNFPA and Government policies and procedures.
12) Prepare Procurement Plans for IPs, support and guide procurement initiatives ensuring timely delivery of goods and services, compliance to UNFPA and Government policies and procedures and adherence to value-for-money principles.
13) Ensure close coordination of administrative related tasks between UNFPA and the Implementing Partners and provide support to the Implementing Partners as and when required.
14) Perform other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
Duration and working schedule: 01 April 2018 – 31st December 2018
Places where services are to be delivered: Islamabad, with missions to Provinces (Including Federating regions/areas)
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
The consultant will prepare a Work plan and deliver his/her tasks as per the monthly targets.
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline:
The consultant will submit monthly reports and regular updates to the Supervisor against the monthly targets.
Supervisory arrangements: The Consultant will report to the International Operations Manager
Frequent travel to Peshawar, and possibly to the districts of KP province. Regular travel to Lahore and other parts of the Province.
Required expertise, qualifications and competencies, including language requirements:
Master’s Degree in Finance, Business Studies, Management and or related field (or Bachelor’s Degree and 4 years’ relevant experience) in the field of audit, finance and quality assurance is required. Professional qualifications such as ACCA, Quality Auditor, Quality Improvement Associate is required.
Knowledge and Experience
● Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the field of audit, finance and quality assurance is required.
● Experience in the usage of computers and current office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
● Knowledge of tools, concepts and methodologies of quality assurance.
● Experience of working with UN, donors or other international organizations.
● Knowledge of Government structures and regulatory systems.
● Languages: Fluency in English is required.
● attention to detail
● communication skills - verbal and written
● data collection, management and analysis
● problem analysis and problem solving