Pakistan is presently the fifth populous country in the world with a population of 207 million (2017 Census) and is facing significant delays in demographic transition due to slow onset of fertility decline. The country has one of the highest unmet need for contraception in the region (20.1 %), high discontinuance rates of family planning use (37%) and an estimated 2.2 million abortions occur annually.
Under its 9th Country Programme of Assistance, UNFPA work with key actors at national and sub-national levels to create an enabling policy and programmatic environment; improve coordination and implementation to accelerate delivery of family planning information and services in the country and contribute to the achievement of the country SDG commitments and targets.
The Programme Specialist will support the Government of Baluchistan in designing, managing, monitoring and implementing programme initiatives. for family planning information and sources.
Organizational Location and Job Purpose
The National Programme Officer for Family Planning is located in Quetta, Province of Baluchistan. Under the direct supervision of the PWD Secretary and second reporting line to the International FP Advisor, the Programme Specialist will be responsible for providing overall technical leadership and guidance in the planning, conceptualization, implementation, monitoring and assessment of various initiatives of the Province in the area of Family Planning. This will involve strengthening coordination and management capacities, provision of technical support in policy and regulations development, FP quality assurance and to provincial government agencies (PWD, DoH, Planning), civil society groups within the relevant sector, and FP 2020 Task Force.
Key Activities/Expected Results
Leadership and Coordination
· Represent UNFPA and provide high quality TA during the conduct of program review exercises in consultation with the SDG Unit, and other relevant entities.
· Provides strategic support to PWD and DOH in finalization and adoption of PPPs guidelines and framework; formulation, implementation and monitoring of Task Sharing and Task shifting strategies and action plans.
· Provides leadership in mainstreaming Human Rights Based Approaches in in the provision of FP information and services.
· Catalyzing strong linkages between Department of Health, Planning and Development, Population Welfare department and other line departments, CSOs and private sector to accelerate FP achievement of FP2020 commitments and SDG targets.
· Coordinates UNFPA supported population and FP studies, and other relevant research undertakings.
Policy Development and Advocacy; Monitoring and Reporting
· Shares policy briefs on emerging population issues in the province and lead sensitization efforts targeting decision-makers, budget holders and policymakers
· Prepare briefing notes, project updates, donor reports, summary noted of key research findings, concept notes on FP related initiatives.
· Facilitate the adoption of the FP advocacy strategy with relevant platforms, and organic structures, systems and processes. Within the Province.
· Facilitates the Province of KP in providing regular reports to concerned provincial focal points based on FP2020 commitments
· Monitor and assess the progress of work plan implementation and provide required solutions to address bottlenecks and constraints in implementation
Resource Management and Mobilization
· Facilitates and coordinates efforts to develop PC- 1 project documents and proposals to increase investments in FP,
· Promotes and advocates the inclusion of a FP budget line item in the annual DoH budget.
Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the Deputy Representative and Representative.
The National Programme Officer serves as UNFPA technical expert, coordinator and advocate with relevant government units in Baluchistan. He provides technical guidance, strategic and programmatic support to the FP2020 WG/Provincial Technical Coordination Committee and other relevant structures on areas related to FP. S/He maintains collaborative relationships with UNFPA Programme and Operations teams and senior management or (in the case of a sub –office.)
S/He facilitates the work of consultants and advisors, and establishes/maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, UN, and other development partners and other key stakeholders.
· Master’s degree in Public health or equivalent
· 7 years’ country level experience in managing Family Planning Programmes at the public or private sector. Demonstrated experience in policy development, programme/ project planning design, follow up, monitoring and evaluation.
· Knowledge of FP rights-based approaches, FP2020 initiatives, public and private partnerships,
· Knowledge of the UN system and provincial government program and financial operations would be an advantage.
- Previous experience of working in the development sector is an advantage.
· Demonstrable, strategic planning, coordination, policy development, report writing and presentation skills.
· Fluency in English is required.
Values: Exemplifying integrity, demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system, embracing diversity and embracing change
Core Competencies: Achieving results, being accountable, developing and applying professional expertise. Thinking analytically and strategically, working in teams and managing self and relationships
Managerial competencies: Engaging external and internal partners and stakeholders, learning and developing people, creating a culture of performance, making decisions and exercising judgement.