UNICEF works in some of the worlds toughest places, to reach the worlds most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
The Research and Evaluation (R&E) Officer reports to the Research and Evaluation Specialist (PMR). Under the guidance and supervision of Research and Evaluation Specialist, the R&E Officer will:
- Assist in all evaluative and research work within the country office and provide support for quality assurance activities, information collection and analysis, progress reports, minutes, ToRs and communication material, and preparation of agendas for supporting meetings, workshops and training sessions with regard to research and evaluation work at national and sub-national level with special attention to the instructions provided pertaining to the quality, ethics and timelines of deliverables.
- Support in coordination with all programmes, elicitation of information for preparation and regular updates of a well-established Plan for Research, Integrated Monitoring and Evaluations (PRIME).
- Assist in evaluation work within the One UN to maximize synergy on research and evaluations and provide support in coordination work on M&E for SDGs, as required.
- Support the development of national capacities for evaluation and research within the public sector, with special attention to the interest, concern and participation of government, community, and civil society stakeholders.
- Assist in key deliverables committed in the research and evaluation workplan by coordinating work with other programme sections wherever required.
How can you make a difference?
- Assist in coordinating and establishing the major research and evaluation objectives, priorities, and activities in UNICEF Plan for Research, Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation (PRIME), in consultation with all programmes and relevant partners, and uploading on PRIME portal regularly.
- Support the development of UNDAF M&E Plans that UNICEF is engaged in, from a sound results-based programming process.
- Assist programmes to formulate Terms of Reference and evaluation designs of high quality in compliance with the UNICEF quality standards and guidelines.
- Support in coordination of inception meetings for evaluations and research; solicitation of feedback on key deliverables; monitoring and ensuring the quality of the field work and data management during the implementation phase.
- Support in tracking and ensuring that a management response to the findings and recommendations of the evaluation is completed, recorded, uploaded, and followed up for implementation.
- Support in submitting all evaluations and research products to UNICEF ROSA and HQ via the Evaluation and Research Data Base web portal and final management response to the MRDB with full accompanying documentation.
- Research and Situation Monitoring and Assessment
- Assist in high quality research with ethical standards meeting UNICEF quality assurance for research and establishing platforms that could strengthen quality and compliance to ethical standards.
- Support the collection of information on Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs) and other key social development indicators (through document review and web searches), when required by UNICEF programmes.
- Assist in coordination of activities contributing to preparation/updating of the Situation Analysis for programme development providing accurate analysis of country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects.
3. M&E and Research Capacity Building
- Assist in the National Evaluation Capacity Development initiatives among public sector partners to support long term system strengthening through development of evaluation policies for enhancing accountability and learning.
- Support promotion of awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of M& E and research functions among all staff members through supporting communication, training, learning and development activities organization-wide.
- Support a range of appropriate skills building strategies including self-learning, seminars and workshops and practical experience in order that UNICEF, UN staff and national partners have the basic knowledge and skills in understanding and applying new M&E policies, tools, methods to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Knowledge Creation and Management through Coordination and Networking
- Assist in overall coordination of priority research and evaluation activities in collaboration with all concerned programmes and partners from the public sector and civil society, as required.
- Provide support in ensuring that current and accurate evaluation data and results are included in relevant UNICEF annual and other reports, RAM reports, UN, regional or multi-country studies, and knowledge sharing networks.
- Support coordination with RCO and other UN agencies and public sector organizations to facilitate UNICEF programmes work on SDGs for children.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- University degree in social sciences, development, or management studies.
- Minimum of one year professional experience of working in the field of evaluation and/or research in the development sector.
- Sound knowledge of research methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience in working with multiple stakeholders across government and civil society in the areas of research and evaluation.
- Good coordination and negotiating skills, project management and time management skills.
Fluency in English required. Urdu (oral) is an asset.
Duty Station and Travel
Duty station is Islamabad with Travel to various parts of the country. Ready to travel to project locations in remote areas of the country and for various coordination and review meetings.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEFs core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
i. Core Values (Required)
Diversity and Inclusion
ii. Core Competencies (Required)
Working with People [II]
Drive for Results [I]
iii. Functional Competencies (Required)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Analyzing [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
- Planning and Organizing [ II ]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
HEC Attested degrees are a pre-requisite for employment at UNICEF. During the recruitment process candidates will be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.