Purpose of the post:
To provide assistance for general programme areas related to documentation, technical reports and to provide assistance to coordinate programme activities.
Overview of the Program:
To eradicate polio from Pakistan as per the objectives laid out in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) End Game and Strategic Plan 2017-2018 as well as to reduce morbidity and mortality of other EPI target diseases. Polio eradication is a global goal and priority for WHO. Pakistan is one of only 3 remaining endemic countries and stopping transmission of wild poliovirus in Pakistan will be a definitive step in achieving polio eradication. WHO has a large technical team working closely with Government and partners on polio eradication in Pakistan.
Under the supervision of the Polio Laboratory Incharge and the overall supervision of RADS Coordinator, the Programme Assistant will undertake the following duties:
1. Provide secretarial support during meetings workshops and/or trainings, including: preparing required documents and presentations; sending invitation letters to participants; photocopying documents for dissemination to participants; preparing related files; following-up with relevant units regarding the logistics arrangements.
2. Receive, screen and process correspondence and requests
3. Assist in completion and follow-up of laboratory technical reports including polio test reports, poliovirus containment survey and collaborative research projects to support eradication efforts.
4. Assist in correspondence with local/international partners and counterparts.
5. Update project action item lists as required with input from project management.
6. Assist in coordinating and follow-up on all technical issues between polio laboratory and project management, and relevant stakeholders
7. Assist in maintaining effective communications with all team members.
8. Updates and maintain records and reference files for the Polio Laboratory Director and Coordinator and other pertinent staff, including the staff scientists.
9. Assist Polio Laboratory incharge in management of appointments and meetings.
10. Performs any other duties as required
Functional skills and experience:
1. At least 3 years’ experience working in the humanitarian sector.
2. Previous work experience with an international organization desirable.
3. Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications, such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
4. Proven ability to understand and work with Programme-specific Information Management Systems
5. Proven ability to process, analyze and interpret data.
6. Ability to communicate clearly in English language orally and in writing
7. Knowledge of other local languages (eg. Urdu, Pashtu, and Punjabi) is an asset.
1. Demonstrates good skills and relevant knowledge of needs and priorities in own area (e.g. Possesses sound knowledge at country level).
2. Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results.
3. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively.
4. Promoting WHO's position in health leadership.
Essential: Bachelor Degree in business, IT, and/or social sciences.