Over the last decade, Pakistan’s north-western Tribal Districts/Subdivisions (erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas) have experienced security challenges and large-scale population displacements. Since 2014 a combination of military operations and political reform process culminated in the merger of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas into neighboring Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. The merger, one of the most consequential political reforms in Pakistan’s 70-year history, is an unprecedented extension of constitutional rights and governance structures to millions of the poorest people in Pakistan.
The reform package aims to improve the socio-economic indicators of the region through the preparation and approval of a 10-year FATA Development Plan (TYFDP). It was with UNPD support that relevant authorities prepared a draft TYFDP and strategy to improve economic governance as one of core pillar of overall reforms process. The effort is backed by a 10-year commitment from Federal authorities of additional funding of 1 Trillion rupees. The implementation of this plan has the potential to change millions of lives, while transforming a persistent security national and regional security challenge.
UNDP has been providing policy level and technical support to FATA reform process since 2015 through the provision of experts/advisors to the relevant ministries, the FATA Secretariat and the Provincial Government of KP.
In this context, UNDP Pakistan is looking for a talented Senior Economist with exceptional skills and the drive to lead our economic development programming in the new KP Tribal Districts.
The Senior Economist will lead and manage the implementation of economic pillar of the programme. He/she will be responsible to provide technical and strategic advice to the Government and stakeholders on economic planning and policy, and delivering technical interventions in support of the growth plan and extension of economic management tools. The Senior Economist will join a dynamic team of experts in our offices in Islamabad and Peshawar. He/She will be supervised by the by the Chief Technical Specialist of the FATA Governance Project and will in turn supervise a small team of project staff and consultants.
The Senior Economist will coordinate closely with Government partners, development partners, the Development Policy Unit, International Financial Institutions, FATA Transition Task Force, and the FATA Transition and Recovery Programme.
1. Advise the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Economic Development of Tribal Districts;
Build and maintain key relationships with Government counterparts;
Provide sound and effective policy-level advisory to the government on economic planning and development in the Tribal Districts/Subdivisions.
To lead the preparation of KP Tribal Districts investment climate assessment in coordination of all relevant stakeholders:
Provide technical assistance in the preparation of relevant economic and financial sector related PCs1 and other policy documents;
Draft implementation proposals, road maps, and work plans in coordination of Government and other key stakeholders;
2. Support the approval and implementation of the FATA Ten-Year Development Plan;
Provide high-quality technical assistance to relevant government divisions/departments/directorates in the finalization, approval, implementation and monitoring of TYFDP;
Conduct analysis on public development investment in the region (agency/district and sector wise) and policy recommendations for inclusive economic growth and development;
Establish a economic growth unit to facilitate monitoring of TYFDP and dissemination of high-quality analytical reports on implementation;
3. Support the Extension of the economic data regime to the Tribal Districts;
Collaborate with Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, BOS KP and relevant Government counterparts to design and implement a roadmap for timely extension of national and provincial economic data regime into KP Tribal Districts;
Organize a programme of support to implement the extension.
4. Provide effective leadership and management of UNDP economic growth programing pillar.
Conceptualize, plan, and implement all the activities (most of which are described above) and fall within the economic management pillar of the FATA Governance Project;
Provide effective leadership, team recruitment and management of the economic growth team;
Effectively oversee program implementation in line with annual workplan, donor agreements, policy and procedure;
Draft and/or provide quality assurance of timely and relevant analytical and policy products including notes, briefings, background notes;
Liaison and development of partnerships with project stakeholders, other UN Agencies and intergovernmental relationship management;
Support cooperation through effective engagement with international partners and IFIs, of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects
Facilitate knowledge building and management;
Impact of Results
Enhanced economic planning, and management in the tribal districts of KP
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN’s values and ethical standards
• Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
• Ability to develop and communicate a convincing vision, demonstrate effective leadership
• Capability to operate at the highest levels of politics and civilian bureaucracy
• Exceptional political acumen
• Strong skills in making bureaucracy work including drafting working briefs, PowerPoints, and terms of reference
• Strong analytical capabilities, problem structuring and solving skills
• Ability to cope with uncertainty and to work under pressure
• Strong ethics, a collaborative attitude and a passion for improving citizens lives
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
• Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
• Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
• Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
• Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit;
• Good ICT skills, knowledge of Atlas;
• Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
• Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
• Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Recruitment Qualifications & Experience
The candidate must have Master’s level or above degree in Economics or in relevant subject
The candidate must possess the following experience:
• Minimum 10 years’ of relevant experience in economic planning, policy or analysis;
• Experience managing teams and providing leadership;
• Significant experience working with a government or multi-lateral organization;
• International expertise and working for international organizations;
• Experience in KP/FATA Economic and Governance issues is significant asset.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates will be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to(i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment,or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment.