Generating Global Environmental Benefits (GEB) from Improved Decision Making Systems and Local Planning in Pakistan.
Assistant Project Officer:
Under the guidance of National Project Coordinator and National Project Director, the Assistant Project Officer provides support to project implementation performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Assistant Project Officer promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Assistant Project Officer will work in close collaboration/coordination with the Environment and Climate Change Unit, UNDP to fulfil corporate requirements of NIM project and financial reporting based on NIM/HACT set rules and regulations to meet the set corporate deadlines.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), acting as an implementing agency of the Global Environment Facility (GEF), is providing assistance to Ministry of Climate Change, Government of Pakistan, in the preparation of the GEF Medium Size Project (MSP) “Generating Global Environmental Benefits from Improved Decision Making in Pakistan”. The project’s objective is ‘to remove the barriers to environmental information management and mainstreaming global environment concerns into economic decision making. The objective is two-fold in its focus, one related to environmental information, and the other to employing this information for improved economic decision making.. Accordingly, the project has three interrelated outcomes: (1) Regular availability of consistent and reliable environmental data; (2) A coordinated and robust environmental information management system, and, (3) Enhanced commitment and capacity for sustainable development planning and legislation. More details about the project can be found in the main project document with a summary in the beginning.
The project will be implemented in a devolved manner through the existing structures of the government and following a market based approach to the generation, supply and access of information. Nonetheless, the project provides for some additional personnel mainly to coordinate support, and technically assist its implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Project Officer will support the Project Coordinator in carrying out of his/her mandate, in particular, perform the following tasks:
a. Organizational and logistical issues related to project execution as per UNDP guidelines and procedures
b. Record keeping of project documents, including financial in accordance with audit requirements
c. Ensure all logistical arrangements are carried out smoothly
d. Assist Project Coordinator in preparation and update of project work plans in collaboration with the UNDP Country Office
e. Facilitate timely preparation and submission of financial reports and settlement of advances, including progress reports and other substantial reports
f. Liaise with the Project Coordinator and UNDP Programme Officer on a regular basis
g. Identify and timely resolve any logistical and organizational issues in project implementation, if necessary with guidance and support of the Project Coordinator.
In addition, he/she will be responsible for:
· Bear responsibilities for logistics, procurement, finance and recruitment for the project, in accordance with corporate UNDP rules and regulations as well as donor’s requirements;
· Prepare all financial and administrative documents related to the project implementation;
· Develop quarterly and annual budget plans for recruitment of personnel; maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments and other data for day-to-day transaction and reports;
· Advise and assist Project staff, experts and consultants on all respects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial and administrative matters, and calculate and authorize payments due for claims and services;
· Provide organizational and administrative support in implementation of project activities including organization of roundtables, workshops, trainings, working meetings and other events;
· Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required to handle all financial operations of the project office, make cash payments and reconcile all accounts in required time frame;
· Maintain, update and transmit inventory records of non-expendable equipment in accordance with UNDP rules;
· Perform cash custodian’s duties being primarily responsible for project’s cash disbursements and maintain project’s petty cash book and payrolls related to the regional offices;
· Ensure leave monitoring of project staff, check the accuracy and proper completion of monthly leave reports;
· Analyze the potential problems concerning administrative-financial issues and take respective measures to provide adequate project’s resources on time for implementation of the project activities;
· Encourage awareness of and promotion of gender equality among project staff and partners;
· Ensure full compliance of administrative and financial processes and financial records with UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
· Define the cost-effective measures for optimal use of resources of the project;
Perform other duties related to personnel, administrative and financial issues of project as required