The position is based in FAO Project Office in Hyderabad, Pakistan. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative; and in close collaboration of Assistant FAO Representative-Programme (AFAOR) and Program Officer Resilience, the Field Officer will report to Project Coordinator in performance of the following tasks:
Project deliverables completed in collaboration with the relevant Districts Departments of Agriculture and FAO’s implementing partners (Farmer’s Association, Farmer Field Schools, NGOs and Government’s Provincial Agricultural Research Directorates and District Agricultural Extension Services).
Monitoring of the supported project.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Develop work breakdown plan and procurement plan in pursuance of deliverables (software and hardware) required by the project;
- In consultation with the Provincial Agricultural Department, work out the approval and recommendation of agriculture support services (formulating specifications and quantities for seeds, packaging, fertilizers and tools);
- Ensure project deliverables completed within time and in accordance with the specification standards and quantity requirements in collaboration with the relevant Districts Departments of Agriculture and FAO’s implementing partners (Farmer’s Association, Farmer Field Schools, NGOs and Government’s Provincial Agricultural Research Directorates and District Agricultural Extension Services);
- Demonstrate & extend conservation agriculture practices, through informal farmers groups
- Co-ordinate and supervise inputs for those project activities concerned with the distribution of agricultural inputs, and the capacity building of farmers groups;
- Work towards developing public-private partnerships for the effective and sustainable delivery of agricultural support services through a farmer field school approach;
- Ensure respective M&E systems are in place, and assist M&E staff in preparation of data protocols, devise data validation and verification mechanisms at project level; facilitate any project initiative taken by the M&E staff; Coordinate with Reporting officer, M&E section and communication specialist in finalization of periodic progress reports, success stories/case studies;
- Facilitate logistic and procurement staff in delivering the projects specific outputs;
- Help to design training programmes for farmers groups in improved crop production, processing, value addition, storage and marketing of cereals, pulses and legumes, fruits and vegetables, quality seeds etc.;
- Collect and store intervention wise beneficiary data for periodic reports;
- Assist implementing partners, including short term consultants, in implementation of training programmes;
- Keep close liaison with Farmer Field Schools and provide assistance in the preparation of curriculum and monitor the implementation of activities;
- Assist in the preparation of agricultural extension training materials for publication by FAO when required;
- Contribute to the development of concept notes, project documents, project briefs and reports;
- Ensure the submission of weekly/monthly work plan, monthly, quarterly, annual and final progress reports;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Graduate/equivalent qualification in Agriculture with specialization in Agronomy/ Plant Breeding and Genetics/Horticulture
- Working experience of at least 7 years in similar projects, including Bio-Saline agriculture;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English and Urdu; knowledge of Sindhi will be an asset
- Being a National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Remain open to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high pressure environment.
- Working experience with UN and/or international organizations will be an asset.
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
HOW TO APPLY To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT