- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Farmer Field School Facilitators
National Project Personnel (NPP) ( First Shift (Day) )
Graduate in Social Sciences and / or Agriculture related discipline
The position is located in the FAO Project Offices in the Districts, Balochistan. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by a FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan and in close coordination with the Chief Technical Advisor / Chief of Party THAzA and the Deputy Chief of Party THAzA (The Horticultural Advancement Activity), the incumbent will directly be supervised by the Provincial Coordinator.
- Facilitate experimentation, participatory learning by doing and training on plants disease and insect pest management, integrated weed management, integrated soil fertility management, Farm economics and financial literacy, and other issues that come up for individual groups.
- Farmer Field Schools (FFS) establishment for participatory learning, training and experimentation
- Trainings facilitated on specific crop related issues through FFS
- Field based FFS, FBS (Farmer Business Schools) actions plans developed
- Contribute in FFS extension materials development
Tasks and responsibilities
- Organize and mobilize male and female farmers into groups, and / or use existing Community Organizations for this purpose, for establishment of Farmer Field Schools and Farmer Business Schools for participatory learning and trainings on specific crop production and quality related issues.
- Provide support and facilitate farmer groups in introduction and establishment of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) practices and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and improved (post) harvest handling and marketing of high value horticultural products;
- Field based FFS , FBS (Farmer Business Schools) actions plans developed
- Contribute to FFS extension and training materials development
- Develop and organize crop based FFS and implement all FFS stages and components with regular field follow-up and interaction with participants;
- The FFS facilitator works directly with farmers, and help them discover important concepts/ issues in crops farming through practical learning.
- Conduct awareness-raising meetings to introduce the FFS concept, identify the farmers and learning site/ sites;
- Contribute to the development of training curricula and facilitate training of farmers through season long FFS.
- Assist in establishment of demonstration/learning sites to run FFS, arrange for Farmer Field days, exposure/ exchange visits.
- Report progress of the FFS and demonstrations plots activities;
- Follow up and coordinate with stakeholders including Government line agencies (Agriculture Extension and OFWM Departments) and other NGOs and Development Agencies working in the districts for their contribution to the FFS sessions.
- Organize capacity development / training initiatives and other field based activities i.e. farmer consultative meetings, gender sensitive trainings, workshops, nutrition awareness, (market) exposure visits, monitoring visits and field days;
- Prepare and submit monthly work plan and progress reports;
- Perform any other associated duties as required by the Project Coordinator.
- Graduate in Social Sciences and / or Agriculture related discipline
- Minimum 03 years relevant field experience, particularly in Livelihoods, Food Security and agricultural development projects.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Good knowledge of Urdu, Balochi and Pashtu;
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Remain open to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high-pressure environment.
- Familiar with FAO procedures, possess strong supervisory, communication, team building and computing skills (word processing, spreadsheets and data-bases).
- Practical knowledge of Community Mobilization skills and management of Farmer Field Schools.
- Experience in communication and diffusion strategies and techniques, reporting, documentation
- Understanding of and competencies in participatory extension methods, training need assessments and development of capacity development plan