- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Deputy Chief of Party / Value Chain Specialist
National Project Personnel (NPP) ( First Shift (Day) )
Advance university degree in agricultural economics, rural development or business management (or related technical disciplines)
The position is located in FAO Representation Office in Islamabad. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by a FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan and in close coordination with Assistant FAOR, the incumbent will directly be supervised by the Chief Technical Advisor / Chief of Party THAzA (The Horticultural Advancement Activity)
- Oversight by FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP) and technical guidance by the relevant units in FAO Headquarters and/or RAP.
Management and implementation of all THAzA activities included in the Project Document (planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation) and technical support to the THAzA outputs
Tasks and responsibilities
- Facilitate and supervise the FAO Provincial Coordinators and liaise with relevant departments and ministries in the federal and provincial governments, national research institutions, national project staff to ensure co-ordination and collaboration required for implementation of THAzA.
- Co-ordinate national project staff, including district teams and sub-contractors enabling them to undertake the work required and supervision of their activities.
- Identify potential marketing and postharvest interventions to be supported by the Project and in collaboration with the Project’s Team Leaders and Project’s Agribusiness and supply chain facilitators, undertake detailed value chain analyses of the marketing and input supply arrangements in the Project’s target areas and utilise these exercises to identify opportunities, linkages, impediments and bottlenecks for adding value, processing and marketing of important horticultural commodities.
- Assist value chain and business facilitators and consultants to design agricultural marketing strategies for project beneficiaries, both for men and women producers, and supervise implementation.
- Organise meetings with farmers, traders, transporters, marketing intermediaries, wholesale and commission agents and develop interventions to overcome systemic market problems and recommendations for better marketing systems for horticultural produce – integrated with the above mentioned value chain analyses.
- Assist the Provincial Coordinators / Team Leaders and provincial teams to promote group formation of entrepreneurial men and women producers (into informal small agri-business enterprises and FMCs) and link these enterprises and collectives to local, provincial and national markets and facilitate the marketing of such enterprises and collectives.
- Identify prevailing policy, legislative or regulatory constraints impeding development of the sector, or sub-sectors, and design interventions accordingly.
- Assist the Provincial Coordinators / Team Leaders building the capacities of entrepreneurial FMCs through training and mentoring.
- Develop and supervise the implementation of a training programme on all aspects of value chain and agri business development, post-harvest management and marketing of agricultural commodities, and undertake the practical training of selected project staff, FFS and Agribusiness Facilitators, DoAC marketing extension staff, and private sector stakeholders (and their organisations) in the application of these improved technologies and techniques.
- Assist the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA / COP) and Provincial Coordinators to co-ordinate input supply and procurement (preparation of technical specifications for equipment and materials) and contracting issues, delivery and distribution of inputs.
- Assist the PM to build and maintain relationships with national and provincial organisations in the agriculture sector in Balochistan and KP and if appropriate, draft agreements for joint implementation of activities.
- Liaise and co-operate with other relevant organisations and programmes and projects in Balochistan and KP and Pakistan that can support THAzA.
- Ensure representation of FAO at GoB meetings and advocacy campaigns.
- Assist the PM and Provincial Coordinators to oversee and co-ordinate the Project’s monitoring and reporting requirements; communication with FAOR support units and relevant GoB departments and agencies.
- Ensure smooth implementation of the project activities and conduct the required review and evaluations, including reporting requirements to the donor (USAID) and FAO.
- Submit periodic reports as required by project management.
- Perform other related duties as required by FAOR and the Project Manager.
- University degree in agricultural economics, rural development or business management (or related technical disciplines).
- Minimum 12 years of experience as a technical adviser/team leader of integrated agricultural development projects focusing on connecting smallholder famers with markets and agri business and value chain development in Pakistan. Three years relevant working experience in farmer trainings through LFFS methodology
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English. Good knowledge of Urdu, Balochi and Pashtu
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Remain open to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high-pressure environment.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with high-ranking official of government institutions, international institutions and non- government institutions.
- Understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO would be considered an added asset.
- Proven managerial and leadership ability in the context of collaboration with United Nations and donor agencies, government line departments, non-government organisations (NGOs), private companies and heterogeneous teams composed of consultants, specialists and implementing partners of different educational and cultural backgrounds.
- Familiar with FAO procedures, possess strong supervisory, communication, team building and computing skills (word processing, spreadsheets and data-bases).
Significant experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation; procurement and distribution of agricultural inputs and equipment; institutional and technical capacity building of government institutions, NGOs and private sector organisations at all levels; facilitating/co-ordinating community-level participatory action planning and development; adaptive research and participatory extension approaches to technological innovation; and gender mainstreaming.
Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
Position is based in Islamabad with frequent travel to KPK Tribal Districts and Balochistan.