- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Consultant for Rural Institutions Review in Punjab
Consultant ( First Shift (Day) )
This position is consultancy for FAO Representation to Pakistan, based in Lahore. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural , fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan (FAOR), and under direct supervision of Assistant FAOR (Program); the consultant will be assigned specific tasks.
The Proactive engagement and involvement of rural population including small farmers, aarhti (trader), women and youth will be critical for agricultural and rural transformation of Punjab. Various types of formal, informal, traditional and customary groups and institutions that exist in rural Punjab have over time played a significant role in defining, shaping and influencing the social, agricultural and economic landscape across Punjab.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Carry out an in-depth review of rural institutions of Punjab, which will include, but not limited to;
- Carry out an identification of the type of formal, informal, traditional, customary and participatory rural groups and institutions that exist in rural Punjab;
- dentify any relevant policies, laws, regulations etc. for the formation, governance and functioning of rural institutions;
- Identify the type and number of rural institutions that exist in Punjab, and examine and compare the roles, functions, working and business practices of each type;
- Examine the extent of membership, outreach and usefulness of various type of rural institutions in moving rural Punjab towards productivity enhancement, social development, improved services, increased investments and shared prosperity;
- Examine the barriers, constraints, gaps and limitations facing each institution type;
- Review and prioritize the potential each institution type offers for social and economic transformation of Punjab
- Go forward, identify the sectors/areas in which existing or new rural institutions could play a pivotal role in enhancing on farm, off-farm and non-farm productivity, social development, improved services, increased investments and shared prosperity in rural Punjab;
- Identify the policy, governance and regulatory reforms that are required to enable, strengthen and support prioritized rural institutions to play a meaningful role for social and economic transformation of Punjab including but not limited to agriculture productivity enhancement, commercialization of agriculture, quality agricultural inputs, irrigation water use efficiency, livestock management, horticulture, floriculture, value addition, value chain development, agribusiness, job creation especially for youth and women, entrepreneurship, social entrepreneurship, local service delivery, built environment, land consolidation, sale, rent and contract farming, contract enforcement and arbitration; agriculture; and
- Recommend the next steps in the formation and strengthening of new and existing rural institutions.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
University Degree in social sciences, development studies, agricultural economics or related field.
· At least Twelve years of relevant experience
· A working knowledge of the English language and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
· National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
· Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
· Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT