This position is consultancy for FAO Representation to Pakistan, based in Lahore. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural , fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan (FAOR), and under direct supervision of Assistant FAOR (Program); the consultant will be assigned specific tasks.
The principal goal of the development of a broad Capacity Building Strategy is to improve the quality of human capital in Agriculture Sector, including not only public extension services but also farmer organizations, the food industry, policy makers, environmental groups, and consumer groups. The Review report suggests the establishment of an autonomous training/capacity building institute to implement such a strategy.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct a gap analysis of all existing “Training Institutes” of the Punjab Agriculture and Livestock departments – i.e. the four training ATIs of the DG(Agricultural Extension and Adaptive Research) and the seven training institutes of the DG(Livestock Extension).
- Hold consultative sessions with all stakeholders, especially the private sector (agribusiness, farmers etc.).
- Based on the gap analysis and consultative sessions, identify training needs and develop a capacity building strategy for the agriculture sector in Punjab. This would include electronic learning (distance training, e-modules) and training in the use of IT in agriculture.
- Develop an implementation strategy for the establishment of a state-of-the-art in-service training institute to execute the capacity building strategy, serving the agricultural and livestock sectors through the “training of trainers”.
- Develop a sound organizational structure for the training institute (human resources profile including technical and managerial skills, support staff etc.) and associated resource requirement profile (capital and recurrent expenditures).
- Provide concrete suggestions regarding building strong and effective links with the private sector (demand-driven training along the value chains) as well as with international training entities of name.
- Develop Draft Strategic framework with proposed Key Result Areas and Key Performance Indicators for the training institute.
- Develop a multi-year budget for the training institute and suggest a sustainable financing model.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Advance University Degree in social sciences, development studies, agricultural economics or related field.
- At least Twelve years of relevant experience
- A working knowledge of the English language and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
- National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.