- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Consultant for Creation of Punjab Horticulture R&D
Consultant ( First Shift (Day) )
Advance University Degree in social sciences, development studies, agricultural economics or related field.
Consultant for Creation of Punjab Horticulture Board and Punjab Horticulture Research and Development Corporation
This position is consultancy for FAO Representation to Pakistan, based in Lahore. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural , fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Pakistan (FAOR), and under direct supervision of Assistant FAOR (Program); the consultant will be assigned specific tasks.
The Punjab Agricultural (crop & livestock) Innovation System (AIS proposes that the GoPunjab pilot a stateof- the-art R&D institute dedicated to R&D for high-value agriculture, which may be called the Punjab Horticulture Research and Development Corporation (PHR&DC).
Tasks and responsibilities
- Review trends in area, production, and trade (imports and exports) of horticultural crops in Punjab over the past 10 years and map the major horticulture crops and their respective production clusters through systematic data collection from primary and secondary sources.
- Conduct a gap analysis based on the current state of horticulture research in Punjab.
- Hold consultative sessions with relevant stakeholders.
- Based on the gap analysis and consultative sessions, define the PHRI’s proposed mandate and boundaries.
- Develop an independent governance structure of the proposed PHRI.
- Develop a sound organizational structure for the proposed PHRI (human resources profile including technical and managerial skills, support staff etc.) and associated resource requirement profile (capital and recurrent expenditures). The PHR&DC would be multidisciplinary, with notionally half the scientists in business development (value chains), economics, information and communication technologies (ICTs), social mobilization, post-harvest management, and nutrition in line with International best practices.
- Provide concrete suggestions regarding building strong and effective links with the private sector as well as with national and international horticultural research organizations.
- Develop Draft Strategic framework with proposed Key Result Areas and Key Performance Indicators for the proposed PHRI.
- Recommend strategies based upon international best practices for effective delivery of research results, including linkages with extension services and private sector organizations.
- Develop an innovative strategy to support the PHR&DC through installing a revenue-generating vehicle to sustain the organization’s capacity building, commercialization and other activities.
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advance University Degree in social sciences, development studies, agricultural economics or related field.
- At least Twelve years of relevant experience.
- A working knowledge of the English language and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams is essential.
- National of Pakistan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of United Nations and International Organizations’ administrative policies and procedures.
- Good knowledge of common administrative and financial rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.