Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), the Radio Operator assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
Under the direct supervision of the UNDSS Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Monitor radio calls, conduct radio checks and establish effective communications with other mobile radios and base-stations on the communications network and deliver the information to the concerned offices/ personnel.
2. Monitor & track United Nations missions and convoy movements throughout Pakistan and maintain the mission movement record informing the UNDSS Office and/or concerned UN offices of any abnormal incident with all details, through all possible communication means.
3. Maintain updated lists of all concerned Sel-Calls/ Telephone/Cell-Phone/Emails communication and keep all the communication systems in good working condition at all times and report any faults immediately.
4. Disseminate security information & advisories as requested by the FSCO.
5. Under the supervision of the FSCO, monitoring the UNDSS UNSMIN website and processing all External & Internal Security Clearances timely coordinating with the staff applying for Security Clearance request informing them to provide necessary information required for approval.
6. On behalf of FSCO, correspond with Regional UNDSS offices for Security Clearances.
7. Reporting of all security-related incidents involving UN staff and eligible dependents to the FSCO, NSA and SIOC Operations Officer.
8. Liaise as necessary with the local administration, police authorities, fire services and other emergency services.
9. Assist SSAFE (Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environment) Team Pakistan to provide training.
10. Updating data in SIOC Manager.
11. Act as a backup station for the onward transmission of messages from one UN office to other and vice versa.
12. Perform any other duties assigned by UN-DSS Office.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate and timely implementation of the overall UN security programme at the country level.
Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Client Orientation: Considers clients point of views; establishes and maintains trust and respect of client community
Education: (Minimum Matriculation) A Secondary Degree from a recognized college.
Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience in radio room/operations or related field of work.
Prior experience with the UN system or an International NGO working in a communication context is desirable.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Duty timing: Radio Room functions 24/7 however incumbent will be required to work in duty shifts respectively.
Other Skills and Requirements:
• Experience in radio room communication considered an asset;
• Knowledge of host country security structures;
• Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
• Ability to travel and work on shift basis
• Physically fit
• Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operations