At the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015, world leaders adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change challenges by 2030. The Sustainable Development Goals build on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), but go much further than the MDGs, addressing the root causes of poverty and the need for development that works for all people from developed and developing world.
The Government of Punjab is committed to the achievement of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development in Punjab. In February 2016, the Planning and Development Department (P&DD) launched SDGs in Punjab, followed by its adoption by the National Assembly of Pakistan as national development goals.
To support implementation of Agenda 2030 and the SDGs at the provincial level, UNDP Pakistan and P&DD launched a joint project on “Mainstreaming, Accelerating and Policy Support for SDGs in Punjab”. Under the project, a SDG Support Unit has been set up in the P&DD to support localization of SDGs at the provincial and district level with a focus on four areas; aligning policies, plans, and resource allocation to 2030 Agenda, strengthening monitoring and reporting on SDGs, aligning financial flows to SDGs and accelerating progress towards SDGs through innovative approaches.
To this end, UNDP requires the services of a Project Manager (PM) for the Punjab SDG Support Unit. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Country Director, UNDP Development Policy Unit, and in close coordination with the concerned government official the Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results. S/he plans project activities and inputs, manages the day-to-day implementation of the project and supervises project experts and personnel. The PM will be based in the Planning and Development Department, Government of Punjab and will be responsible for ensuring that the project is managed in an effective and accountable manner and in close coordination with the Government.
The Project Manager will supervise project team of project professional and support staff. S/he works in close collaboration with the UNDP CO and maintains effective working relationships with Government, donors and other key partners such as UN agencies.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
1. Ensure the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results.
2. Ensure and coordinate provision of high quality technical advice, building of partnerships and mobilize resources for the project
3. Ensure provision of top quality and innovative strategic planning and policy advisory services to the Planning & Development Department and facilitation of capacity development and knowledge building and management in support of provincial priorities and the plans
4. Ensure day-to-day management of the project
1. Ensures the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results, by focusing on the following results:
- In accordance with the Project Document and in close coordination with Government counterpart, plan and develop project Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and establish annual targets and approval by Project Technical Committee and Project Board (PB) according to UNDP CO timelines.
- Design project budget. Ensure that AWP activities suggested are in line with the overall direction set by the Project Document and lead to achievements of project targets and results.
- Implement project governance arrangements. Ensure organization of Project Technical Committee (PTC) and Project Board (PB) meetings and ensure timely preparation of agenda, background materials to agenda items and minutes as per UNDP CO and P&DD SOPs.
- Oversee and coordinate development and formulation of detailed implementation plans, procurement and human resources, communication and risk management plans for the Project. Coordinate and ensure timely updates of all planning instruments in close collaboration with relevant units of UNDP CO and senior management of the Planning and Development Department (P&DD).
- Assess project impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results.
- Establish adequate monitoring procedures and systems throughout project activities in close collaboration with the UNDP Strategic Management Unit (SMU). Ensure that adequate systems are in place (UNDP corporate planning system, STAR and Atlas) to gather data and information for project monitoring and that systematic monitoring of project progress against targets is undertaken, including regular field trips for monitoring purposes. Develop innovative improvements to enhance performance of the project.
- Ensure that Planning and Development Department, Government of Punjab and UNDP´s results-management systems are kept updated for project results-information including ATLAS project management module.
- Manage the accurate and timely high-quality results reporting on the progress of the project and achievement of annual targets to the Project Board and donors. Ensure that donor and UNDP reports are prepared according to UNDP's SOPs, quality standards and in line with the contractual obligations to project donors. Ensure that all internal and external reports are submitted by deadlines.
- Coordinate and prepare ad hoc thematic and substantive reports/analysis/briefs.
- Report progress of project to the Project Technical Committee (PTC) and Project Board (PB), and ensure the fulfilment of PTC & PB directives.
2. Ensures and coordinates provision of high quality technical advice, building of partnerships and mobilizing resources for the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinate, provide high quality technical inputs and oversight to SDG Core and cluster groups (Social, Economic, Environmental and Governance &Inclusivity).
- Coordinate and support the meeting of all the cluster groups (members will include senior officials from departments, UN Agencies, private and experts) that have been formed to develop SDGs Framework and to subsequent progress monitoring of the plan.
- Provide high quality technical inputs to the technical experts/ cluster leads to highlight cross-cutting issues among the cluster groups to facilitate “whole of government approach”.
- Design, undertake (with in-house expertise) and outsource (engaging experts and think tanks) research for detailed background analysis. Collate and present information and data on social and economic priorities of the province. Prepare short status notes for use of the cluster groups;
- Support the creation of an action plan for roll out of the SDGs framework for Punjab including linking it to the process of budgeting;
- Support the development of SDG indicator framework and aligning it to Punjab’s data and M&E systems for monitoring the provincial vision document;
- Suggest and prepare detailed concept notes for possible actions that will be identified to dovetail provincial development priorities with the SDG framework.
- Responsible for coordinating with the provincial and district department involved in the process, including, UN Agencies, Planning Commission and other technical agencies
- Coordination with UN agencies for best practices and technical experts that may be needed during the course of work by various cluster groups
- Establish, maintain and facilitate strategic and policy dialogue between project staff and CSOs, academia/ think tanks, donors and other stakeholders in project´s area of work.
- Provide inputs to UN coordination platforms and participate in meetings
- Lead resource mobilization for the project in close collaboration with UNDP Country Office. Develop funding proposals and concepts as requested.
3. Ensure provision of top quality and innovative strategic planning and policy advisory services to the Planning & Development Department and facilitation of capacity development and knowledge building and management in support of provincial priorities and the plans, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that the Project systematically builds capacities of Implementing Partners and other national partners through introduction of innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promotion of their application to project implementation.
- Contribute to the design of sensitization programmes and capacity building initiatives including for Government officials (provincial and district level) in the formulation of SDG-consistent policies, plans and programmes, including appropriate reporting frameworks at the sub-national level (Provincial SDG Progress Reports).
- Implement robust capacity development plan for Planning and Development department and key department at provincial and district level
- Promote teamwork, information sharing and collaboration within the Project Team and between the Project Team and the Project Partners.
- Ensure capturing and disseminations of lessons learnt during project implementation.
- Promote skills development of project staff through coaching and mentoring
- Facilitate the Project's representation and/or participation in knowledge networks to draw on and share best practice and lessons learned.
- Undertake continuous scoping of the development landscape in the state for identifying opportunities for future work
- Collect, analyze and synthesize macro-economic and SDG-related information and best practices, with emphasis on gender, people with disabilities, the youth and other vulnerable groups and propose capacity development options to relevant actors in the implementation of the provincial plans and other sector-specific plans and strategies.
4. Provide substantive guidance to Sustainable Development Unit Team and ensure day-to-day management of the project, by focusing on the following results:
- Provide technical advisory support to the Sustainable Development Unit Team and especially with respect to SDGs localization through MAPS Approach.
- Develop ToRs/JDs for project staff positions. Oversee recruitment processes. Establish performance objectives and standards and ensure timely and appropriate feedback, guidance and support to ensure optimum performance. Undertake performance evaluation according to P&DD and UNDP´s policies and deadlines.
- Supervise and manage project personnel and consultants/ technical experts and thematic cluster leads.
- Manage and monitor the project risks. In collaboration with the technical project staff, identify new risks and update risk frameworks for consideration of the Project Board for decision on possible actions if required. Update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log.
- Ensure compliance of all actions and activities with organizational rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms.
- Oversee the appropriate use of project funds as well as the consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations.
- Ensure appropriate management of project assets, attendance records and filing system.
- Implement audit recommendations for the project. Provide inputs to audit management responses.
- Undertake project operational closure when needed.
- Ensure gender is mainstreamed in all aspects of project activities
Function / Expected Results
1. SDGs mainstreamed in sub-national development plans and strategies and resource allocation increasingly aligned
2. Coordination, reporting and monitoring mechanisms for SDGs strengthened.
3. Integrated and innovative approaches supported to accelerate progress on SDGs on priority areas established
4. Policy support, research and analysis and knowledge management for SDGs
Impact of Results
The key results will strengthen the visibility of UNDP/ UN system’s contribution to the policy dialogue and enhance the policy impact of projects. The key results will have an impact on the development of policy options and the design of programmes in response to these policy options, the creation of strategic partnerships and bridging the gap between provincial priorities articulated in the plans, strategies and the SDGs.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Leadership, Knowledge Management and Learning;
Job knowledge/technical expertise:
· Provide technical expertise and shares knowledge with staff
· Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
· Keeps abreast of the new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to development him/herself professionally
· Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it
· Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
· Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of gender mainstreaming and empowerment of women
· Anticipate client needs
· Works toward creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
· Demonstrates understanding of the client´s perspective
· Keeps the client informed of problems or delays in the provision of services
Building strategic partnerships:
· Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic with key stakeholders
· Identifies needs and interventions for capacity-building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
Education: The candidate should possess a Master Degree preferably in public administration or Social Sciences disciplines preferably in Economics, Business, International Relations, Development, Public Administration, or related field or related field necessary knowledge to undertake the assignment.
• Minimum of 05 years’ post Master’s relevant experience at the national or international level.
• Substantial experience in project management including development sector
• Knowledge of SDGs and development context, in particular experience in policy advisory services (preferred).
• Demonstrated experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills, including writing reports.
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of English, and working knowledge of Urdu an asset
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process, candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts