The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
UN-Habitat plays an important role in providing technical assistance in the areas of urban legislation, land and governance, urban planning and design, housing and slum upgrading, urban basic services, urban economy, disaster risk reduction and rehabilitation, and research and capacity building for change management of urban areas. UN-Habitat has normative and operational activities in over 70 countries.
In Pakistan, UN-Habitat is actively engaged in various humanitarian and development work and provision of technical assistance and operational support to the Government at federal, provincial and local levels, stakeholders and partners. The Ministry of Climate Change (MoCC) is UN-Habitat’s key Government counterpart in Pakistan.
By 2030, Pakistan’s population is expected to reach 260 million people and more than half of the population will live in urban areas. Therefore, UN-Habitat is focused on supporting the Government at all levels in implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals, primarily Goal 11 towards making cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable. UN-Habitat is further committed to facilitate working towards the New Urban Agenda in the country and promote a new model of urban development that is able to integrate all facets of sustainable urban growth to promote equity, welfare and shared prosperity in close collaboration with the National and Provincial Governments, local authorities, other UN agencies, donors and development partners.
Among number of projects, UN- Habitat Pakistan office implements a project to build the capacity of municipalities through a Municipal Business Planning Pilot in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province targeting one city. The pilot's main aim is to test the challenges in implementing improved business planning, revenue collection, and cost reduction. The pilot includes use of information technology to improve efficiency in municipal planning and service delivery. The project outcomes will influence the government's policy on business planning and financial sustainability of municipalities.
- Formulation of Methodology and Work Plan which include a) Business plan structure for the municipalities based on analysis and modelling, b) Business plan framework, mobilization and methodology
- Developing Business Plan and conducting Municipal Financial Assessment
- Implementation of Business Plan
- Learnings from the pilot including on capacity building for improved business planning
- Website and App development
- Providing IT including GIS inputs for the preparation of Municipal Business plan
- Provide IT support and work closely work closely with ICT team
- Support the Municipal Finance team on IT applications including graphic designing, security coordination, obtaining NoCs, logistics support and security clearance for experts, maintaining data base on expert inputs
- Any other work related to the Municipal Finance project assigned by HPM Pakistan and Human Settlements Officer in ROAP
- Develop Web design for business model, tested and handover to counterpart agency
- Promotes UN’s values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality)
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral):
- Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners,
- Respectful and helpful relations with all team members
G. Required Qualifications
Education: Minimum advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in IT. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: Should include a minimum of 10 years’ experience, including 5 years’ experience of working on IT related work and web designing
Language: Fluency in English as well as the national language of the country (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Other skills:Knowledge of IT solutions Required Skills