The incumbent supports UNHCR’s work regarding education and advocacy on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions. He/She normally works under the direct supervision of the Education or Protection Officer. The Education Associate participates in liaising with partners to assess the education context, to develop an implementation plan and to monitor the programme and assess impact. He/She also works in collaboration with in-country education partners to improve access to, and quality of, refugee education at all levels, both formal and non-formal, and may liaise with partners for joint support for education access for refugee and host community children. He/She supports the implementation of education approaches for emerging needs in refugee education, including attention to special needs, minorities, girls, pre-school education, and non-formal activities. The incumbent supports inter-sectoral linkages with child protection, SGBV, gender, community services, livelihoods and health, among others. The incumbent prepares relevant documentation and follows-up on administrative requirements of education projects.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The education needs of refugees are met through the application of International and National Commitments.
- Implementation of education projects is closely monitored and reports on financial status of projects are provided as appropriate.
- Monitor and support all existing formal and informal education programs, including implementing partner and community-based schools, and informal classes.
- Regularly update and share information related to education, utilizing data collection to identify gaps, assess trends, and design interventions. Monitor and make necessary adjustments to the annual Education Workplan and budget.
- Review education proposals and monitor existing agreements with partners; in addition, work closely with the community to enhance quality and ownership across community-run education programs.
- Liaise and support partners in organizing teacher training.
- Perform specific administrative operational/control tasks for project/programme activities.
- Provide inputs for funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Represent UNHCR in monitoring of education projects.
- Issue documents and reports for clearance by the Education or Protection Officer.
-Planning and Organizing
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Completion of secondary school with certificate/training in Education, Social Sciences or related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Knowledge of refugee protection principles and framework.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Field experience in education programme implementation and coordination.
- Demonstrated work experience in refugee education programmes.
- Background in relevant education systems with good knowledge of relevant curricula.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for written test/interview.