UNDP Pakistan supports the government, institutions and people of Pakistan to improve livelihoods by providing sustainable energy solutions, maintaining the integrity of ecosystems and building capacities for climate change mitigation and adaptation. UNDP's hallmark approaches are policy reforms, institutional & human capacity building and innovative demonstrations in the field.
Within the overall context of the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan, UNDP Pakistan endeavors to mainstream “conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity” as a priority in the government’s development agenda. UNDP is working towards this goal through the development and implementation of various programmes related to management of protected areas, climate change adaptation, sustainable energy, water management and conservation of ecosystems.
The Mountain Protected Areas (MPA) project is seeking to recruit an Intern to support its programmatic/operational activities.
Summary of Key Functions:
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the National Project Manager, Mountain Protected Areas Project, the intern will assist the project based on an agreed work plan, tasks and achievements by performing the activities narrated below for the duration of the internship:
1. Compile data on project activities as received from the project partners and compare with targets and indicators set in Annual Work Plan and Multi-Year Project Plan
2. Examine and analyse the findings and lessons learnt from field activities and develop key messages for practitioners and policy makers to support decision making
3. Support the project in organizing meetings and events regarding awareness of mountain ecosystems preservation; preparing list of participants, invitation letters, agenda, recording of minutes, preparation of reports/proceedings;
4. Prepare awareness raising material (brochures, posters, case studies, success stories, Infographs) regarding the importance of ecosystems, biodiversity and the mountain protected areas.
5. Liaison with the development partners in the sector and promote exchange of useful information and experiences
6. Any other relevant work assigned by the Supervisor;
At the end of the internship the Intern will be able to:
• Understand the national climate change and biodiversity conservation scenario with issues and opportunities;
• Understand procedures related project management and the correlation of targets and results in a multi-stakeholder environment;
• Prepare report on project activities and draft meeting minutes
• Organize meetings and events and report outcomes
• Communication of key policy messages to diverse audience through multiple means
• Submit a completion report against the learning outcomes highlighted in the summary of key functions.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- High level of motivation, ability to show initiative and work independently
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Managing conflict
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
Collects and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors
Generate reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages
Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS
Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING
Organises tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration deadlines and available resources
Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
Education: Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a Masters Degree programme;
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a Bachelor’s Degree;
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (Bachelors/Masters) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
The candidate must be enrolled or have obtained a relevant degree from any reputed university (approved by the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan), majoring in Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Climate Change or a closely relevant discipline.
Language Requirements: The candidate must be fluent in English and Urdu, having both written and speaking skills with ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
Duration: 12 weeks
Candidates who get selected for internship at UNDP shall be required to provide the following prerequisite documents:
- Proof of medical insurance for the duration of the internship
- Letter from the candidate’s university confirming current enrollment and graduation date, if applicable;
- Copy of the candidate’s transcript;
Note: A person who is the child or sibling of an UNDP staff member shall not be eligible to apply for an internship at UNDP.
UNDP provides Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA).
UNDP has zero tolerance towards Sexual Harassment (SH) and Sexual Exploitation & Abuse (SEA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts.