The Communication Analyst substantively contributes to the effective communication of UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health and gender. S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to communication. The Communication Analyst guides and facilitates the development and implementation of a comprehensive communication strategy for UNFPA Pakistan Country Office. S/he ensures and guides the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary.
Organizational Context and Job Purpose
Under the supervision of the UNFPA Representative, the consultant will work in close cooperation with the Country Office program staff, the UN system, government counterparts, media, development partners and civil society organizations to ensure internal and external flow of communication and information and to strengthen partnership.
Key Activities and Expected Results
· Develops and implements a communication strategy focusing on UNFPA’s global priorities in Pakistan, while improving the visibility of UNFPA in the country and showing how UNFPA program is delivering results and contributing to the UN coherent image and programming;
· Provides critical analysis and communications guidance to the Country Office through scanning and reporting of the internal and external environment, and oversees regular production of policy and programme updates in Pakistan within UNFPA, particularly to APRO and regional/media counterparts in HQs;
· Co-ordinates and oversees enhanced production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, posters, pamphlets, programme and fact sheets, and press releases as and when needed, ensuring UNFPA’s active and substantive contribution to joint UN statements/press releases, events and materials’ production;
· Keeps abreast with programme developments, UN global events and national development and organizes events to raise national awareness and champion support on the issues that UNFPA advocates through diverse, innovative and creative approaches in response to the Pakistan context (including photo exhibitions, drama, festivals, song/poetry competitions, concerts, outreach events);
· Builds and maintains strong media and advocacy networks and relationships, ensuring regular media events, meetings of the Representative with key media persons, timely drafting and dissemination of media statements, speeches and press releases;
· Establishes and maintains a system for constant scanning of UNFPA-produced research, surveys, assessments, notes to file, field visit reports and other such internal information sources to identify, capture and make optimal communications capital/material of these for advocacy, media and capacity building purposes of the UNFPA staff, the UN system and UNFPA partners;
· Ensures timely preparation and response to global, regional and national media and advocacy events linked to UNFPA’s mandate, including International Midwifery Day, World Population Day, State of World Population Report launch, International Women’s Day and the like.
· Develops and produces a strong resource base for communications, including UNFPA bulletin on a regular basis; a library of UNFPA programming areas and issue-based photo and information materials that also reflect projects funded by donors;
· Edit various reports/proposals/studies, press releases, speeches to ensure quality, cultural and gender sensitivity and social inclusion and use as resources for advocacy and fund-raising purposes;
· Prepares timely response to the queries of the media, liaising as necessary with HQs Media Branch when sensitive situations arise, in particular for responding to misinformation;
· Share media coverage of UNFPA mandated areas with staff and management on regular basis;
· Develop and maintain strategic partnerships and network with Communication Officers of UN system, key development partners, civil society organizations (including cultural and faith-based organization) and national and international print and electronic media;
· Regularly update UNFPA, Pakistan Website on activities being conducted with the assistance of UNFPA.
· Organize and undertake field trips for donors and international and/or national media to UNFPA program sites and report on the events and progress;
· Organize training workshop for implementing partners and journalists to sensitize and create awareness on UNFPA mandates and work in Pakistan; Perform any other task as required. Required Skills