The Senior Information Management Associate (SIMA) is a member of the Protection Unit in a Country Operation and reports to the Information Management Officer or another more senior staff member in the Protection Unit. Under the overall direction of the Protection Unit, and in coordination with other UNHCR staff and operational partners, the SIMA assists in the production and dissemination of information on the population of concern, including but not limited to Protection and Programme information. The incumbent operationalizes data standards developed at the central level in field operations, compiles data and analyses information to assist the operation in planning, monitoring and reporting. S/he supports the Programme Team and UNHCRs implementing partners in the choice of indicators for monitoring to be included in sub-agreements as well as the Protection Team in operationalizing protection monitoring systems. The incumbent is the main focal point for GIS work in the operation as well as a main interlocutor with NADRA, the national database authority who administer the refugee population database, requiring both technical as well as interpersonal skills in negotiation and contract management. The incumbent will also play an instrumental role in operationalizing the UNHCR Pakistan Information Management Strategy and should be familiar with managing different databases and populations of concern (i.e. IDPs, refugees, returnees, etc.).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Office delivers reliable, accessible and user-friendly, relevant, predictable, appropriate and timely information.
- Global data standards, and where appropriate, the establishment of country-specific common data standards are adopted by UNHCR and its partners.
- Operationalize country-specific common data standards and promote them with partners, including UNHCR data standards and the IASC Common Operational Datasets.
- Compile and aggregrate information elements required to produce standardized information products and implement data/information collection plans for baseline and context-specific data.
- Collect, collate and process information and perform data quality and consistency control.
- Produce summary statistics.
- Coordinate data collection teams.
- Assist in training of staff involved in information management activities, including data collection and data entry teams.
- Support and leverage geographic data for map production and use in geographic information systems (GIS).
- Share UNHCR data with partner agencies and maintain Portal data and information in-line with agreed frequencies.
- Participate in Needs Assessment processes, specifically in data collection, processing/collation and data exploration.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Liaise with partners and represent UNHCR in meetings related to the functions.
- Make recommendations and provide advice on the technical information management requirements.
- Assist in training of data entry and data collection teams.
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Completion of Secondary education with training/certificate in information technology, demography, statistics, social sciences or any related area.
- At least 11 years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community.
- Advanced Excel skills (e.g. pivot tables, functions, etc.).
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
- Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Successful participation in the Operational Data management Learning Programme.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset.
- Experience with relevant software such as ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or proGres.
- Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an asset.
- Proven skills to analyse statistical information.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for written test/interview.