Under the overall supervision of the WHO representative, the incumbent is expected to undertake the following duties at the WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for the Polio Eradication Initiative, Department of Virology, National Institute of Health, Islamabad:
· Isolation and identification of enteroviruses from sewage samples;
· Molecular detection of enteroviruses including polioviruses through conventional and real-time RT-PCR;
· Documentation of all laboratory procedures and data management;
· Maintenance of laboratory Quality Control procedures;
· Feedback on technical issues and report writing;
· Undertake other relevant duties as directed by the supervisor and/or WR.
Educational and professional experience:
· Masters in Philosophy Degree in Microbiology,Biochemistry, and/or Molecular Biology.
· At One year of professional experience on molecular detection and identification of enteroviruses and polioviruses.
· Experience of working on thermal cycler, real-time PCR assays, genetic analyzer and software applications for molecular biology.
· Demonstrable technical skills with at least six months experience of working on molecular techniques in a virology laboratory.
· Capable of proper application and use of biosafety cabinets, conventional and real-time thermal cycler.
· Discernable experience of scientific studies preferably in viral diseases of public health concern.
· Data management and record expertise.
· Proficient in using software tools for laboratory data analysis.