Under the technical supervision of WHO Provincial and Federal Team Leader for polio eradication, Provincial Surveillance officer and the overall supervision of the WHO Representative, the Surveillance Officer will be the focal point for surveillance activities in the assigned district (s) and will be responsible to undertake the following duties.
1. Support district health authorities (DHO/EDO, EPI manager, District Surveillance Coordinator) in ensuring that there is a functional AFP surveillance system in place as per the national guidelines.
2. Support preparation of detailed district surveillance workplans to be implemented by district Health authorities and partner staff (Area Coordinator, PEOs, NSTOP, DHCSO etc.)
3. Review surveillance sites (active and zero-reporting) regularly and prioritize in light of the health seeking behavior data. Ensure that the regular surveillance visits to reporting sites are undertaken by the surveillance staff as per the workplan and no AFP case is missed from being reported.
4. Ensure timely management of all AFP cases (investigation, stool collection and transportation, case classification).
5. Organize and conduct detailed epidemiological investigation of urgent (hot), confirmed and compatible polio cases; AFP cases with zero OPV dose, AFP case clustering, WPV positive environmental isolates.
6. Facilitate that all data from AFP cases are properly collected, line-listed, analyzed and interpreted timely; and forwarded to provincial office. Ensure that appropriate actions are under taken in response to the findings.
7. Monitor the surveillance indicators as well as quality of surveillance data in the district(s) of responsibility and the required actions are taken.
8. Organize orientation sessions for health care providers (formal and informal) and community informers on AFP surveillance.
9. Assist in ensuring inclusion of all high risk/ underserved/ migrant population in the Surveillance network and all AFPs are reported from them.
10. Ensure the environmental samples collection and transportation as per the defined SOPs
11. Assist with the strengthening of measles and MNT surveillance activities. Required Skills