Purpose of the Post: To provide technical assistance to the Polio Eradication Initiative (PEI) in Pakistan by supporting data management and database development activities in the programme. The Pakistan PEI is a world leader in data management and database development. It is recognized for its wealth of information and ability to integrate the vast amounts of information required to guide the country Programme’s strategy. In order to maintain this complex system and respond to the dynamic requirements of the programme, additional support to the data management team is required.
Overview of the Programme: The continued transmission of poliovirus in Pakistan is a national emergency. Pakistan is one of two (with Afghanistan) last remaining reservoir of endemic poliovirus transmission in the World. Recently the Polio Eradication Initiative (PEI) Programme has made tremendous progress by reaching and vaccinating persistently missed children and detecting and responding rapidly to the presence of the poliovirus whenever and wherever it is identified. The programme aims to achieve cessation of transmission of Poliovirus from Pakistan by the end of year 2023 through routine and supplementary immunization and high-quality AFP surveillance system. In addition, to reduce morbidity of other EPI target diseases.
Organizational Context: Under the direct supervision of the Technical Officer (Data) and the overall supervision of the Risk Assessment and Decision Support Unit Lead, the incumbent will undertake the following duties:
1. New modifications & addition of modules in existing databases like HR, Resource Plan, DDM and ODK automation in IDIMS.
2. Manage, maintain and new development or customizing modules and reports in web-IFA along with linking with other databases on real time.
3. Creating mobile apps for different modules and adding features into IDIMS on regular basis that fulfill the requirements of RADs and other units of program
4.Managing linkages between all existing and new databases and ensuring modifications in geography or additional variables does not disrupt systems
5. Strong coordination and mutual support to IT team in web server configuration, Ports setting, email triggers/alerts and database privileges.
6. Regular maintenance and troubleshooting of all the web-based databases, including fixing the data issues and incorporating new functions without any delay.
7. Development of web APIs for data sharing & linkages with other databases on real time basis.
8. Upgradation of Applications to the latest used apps, upgrading and migrating from Windows operating system to LINUX and Setup Linux environment for servers to ensure the development of separate web and database layers using different virtual machines.
9. Configuring Linux based Web server to Apache web server configured for all modules written in PHP and configuring Linux based database server to MySQL database server.
10. Design and ensure regular database backup/recovery procedure and maintain testing environment for databases as well.
11. Setup and manage email gateway from Apache servers, configuring name servers for subdomains, configuring Corn jobs and server triggers for automated operations.
12. Support in data analysis, visualization, web automation, use of web-based GIS application and extract data via customized data queries for decision-making.
13. Documentation of all development technique and application used in versioning form and share with supervisor on regular basis.
14. Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor in accordance with the objectives and deliverables of the Risk Assessment and Decision Support Unit
· Demonstrates engagement and ensures own skills and knowledge are continuously updated.
· Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds a rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings.
· Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others.
· Demonstrates a positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives.
· Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities
Professional Skills and Experience
· At least 1 year of experience in web-based database development and management of large databases.
· Practical experience working with a UN agency and/or International Organizations will be preferred.
· Practical working experience of MYSQL, SQL.
· Practical knowledge of Mobile Application development.
· Use of R-Studio, Tableau and Power-Bi for analysis
· Strong experience in developing large-scale web-based applications from scratch to production.
· Good oral & writing knowledge of the English language.
· BSCS degree in Computer Science, IT or related field.