- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Consultancy: Research and Evaluation Consultant, Islamabad, Pakistan, # 534331, 3 months -For Pakist
UNICEF works in some of the worlds toughest places, to reach the worlds most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a safe home
Pakistan was the sixth country in the world to sign and ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child, less than one year after it was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1989. However, children and adolescents living in Pakistan still face acute challenges.
UNICEF supports the Government of Pakistan to accelerate progress for children, work to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and help children realize their rights under the Convention on the Rights of Children. This will be made through, among others things, strong partnerships with provincial authorities, teachers and health professionals, frontline workers and social mobilisers, communities and families, and of course the children and adolescents themselves.
In particular, UNICEF will work so that:
- Every child survives and thrives -- being in good health, immunized, protected from polio and accessing nutritious food.
- Every child learns.
- Every child is protected from violence and exploitation and registered at birth.
- Every child lives in a safe and clean environment, with access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
To learn more about UNICEFs work in Pakistan, please visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan and videos on YouTube and Vimeo
How can you make a difference?
The Research and Evaluation (R&E) Consultant will report to the Chief of Social Policy. Under the guidance of Chief of Social Policy, the R&E Consultant will contribute to generating research data and evaluative evidence to inform social policy options and address cross-cutting issues related to child rights.
To make a difference, you will be accountable for the following tasks and deliverables:
- Well-prioritized and realistic Plan of Research, Integrated Monitoring and Evaluations (PRIME).
- Updated, clearly defined Costed Evaluation Plan (CEP) with adequate coverage of evaluations across UNICEF sections, programmes and projects.
- Contribute to the development, management and delivery of UNICEF SP Strategic Plan
- High quality and robust evaluation and research function wherein evaluations and research are designed and implemented as per UNICEF/United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) quality standards, and the results are disseminated in a timely fashion to stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to UNICEF Sections in the conduct and management of evalautions and research.
- Document and report a management response against recommendations of completed evaluation.
- Ensure submission of electronic copies of all approved evaluations and research studies to New York Head Quarters (NYHQ) via the Evaluation Data Base web portal, with full accompanying documentation.
- Support collection of data on UNICEF related SDGs indicator.
- In humanitarian response situations, provide professional support for one or more rapid assessments (inter-agency or independently if necessary) to be carried out in humanitarian crisis.
- Monitoring and evaluation capacity building of Country Office staff and governments.
- Lead National Evaluation Capacity Development Initiative by supporting implementation of the signed Rolling Workplan with Ministry of Planning, Development & Special Initiatives (MoPD&SI).
- Collaborate to implement UNICEFs internal capacity building strategies and initiatives.
- Actively seek partnerships with knowledge institutions for the identification of capacity gaps and development of strategies to address them.
- Ensure that the UNICEF office is effectively linked to wider UNICEF research and evaluation networks in a way that both contributes to and benefits from organizational learning on effective programme planning and M&E and research management.
- Ensure that UNICEF work with regard to SDGs is well coordinated with UN and government partners.
- Collaborate with Regional Evaluation Adviser and HQ Evaluation Office as well as UNICEF Office of Research for overall coordination of priority research, monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Coordinate with RCO and other UN agencies and public sector organizations to facilitate UNICEF programmes work on SDGs for children.
- Undertake lessons-learned reviews on successful and unsuccessful M&E practices and experience at the national level, and ensure they are shared as appropriate.
- Updated PRIME and Costed Evaluation Plan
- SP Strategic Note (updated)
- SP (evaluation & research) progress reports on RAM indicators
- Dashboard list of evaluations and research support supported with level-of-effort (LOE)
- List of evaluation for which management response is adequately addressed
- List of evaluations and research studies reviewed and endorsed to Chief of Social Policy for approval and clearance for uploading on web portal.
- SDG data collection concept note, framework and progress
- List of COVID-19 related studies supported.
- UNICEF-MoPD&SI Rolling Work plan on NECDI Progress Dashboard
- Concept note, TORs and Actions taken by UNICEFs Internal Research & Evaluation Technical Taskforce Number of actions taken.
Other tasks assigned by the supervisor around this deliverable are completed
- Participation in Regional evaluation meetings, and sharing CO-Pakistans experience (as advised, authorized)
- Collaboration meetings with UNDP and other UN agencies for SDGs data collection on UNICEFs related indicators
- Key lessons-learning reviews conducted, documents developed
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- Masters degree in statistics, economics, public health, nutrition, public policy, social sciences, education, demography, or related field. PhD a distinctive advantage.
- At least six (6) years of relevant work experience in university, research organization, consulting firm, or related;
- Extensive experience with quantitative/statistical and analytical data, including ability to carry out statistical analyses autonomously; or qualitative data analytical skills. Applicants must clearly specify in the application if they have quantitative or qualitative skills (or both when applicable);
For every Child, you demonstrate
- UNICEFs core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. Functional competencies required: Persuading and Influencing, Planning and organizing, Relating and Networking. View our competency framework at: Here
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Estimated Duration: 3 months, estimate starting date: October 2020
- Official Travel Involved: Consultant will be based in Islamabad.
- Applicants are requested to submit a financial quotation indicating monthly fee as part of the application against each deliverable.
- HEC Attested and verified degrees are a pre-requisite for employment at UNICEF. During the recruitment process candidates will be required to present attested and verified degrees.
- At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage.