Snr ICT Associate is a technical position within the UNHCR operation. Direct supervision is normally exercised by an (Assistant/Associate) ICT Officer. In locations without a professional ICT supervisor, the incumbent must be able to work independently due to the technical nature of the work and liaise directly with regional and Hqs technical units for problem solving and consultations. Main task of the position is to ensure routine functioning of the ICT system within the country operation and assist the management to improve and refine it with the technical progress.
The incumbent has regular contacts with all staff members maintaining smooth and friendly relations with a high responsive attitude towards problem solving and finding solutions. S/he has also contacts with external parties such as contractors and suppliers of ICT equipment and services.
- Reliable and timely ICT services are provided to the operation.
- UNHCR country office stays updated on the latest technology news/progress.
- Undertake needs assessment on site and installations of UNHCR Telecommunications equipment taking into account the overall ICT strategy of the region, the operational needs and the security constraints.
- Install and configure the most appropriate type of UNHCR IT and Telecommunications systems (HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave Links, Telephony, satellite systems) to meet the needs of operations within the AoR.
- Ensure that the equipment under area of responsibility is in good working condition, by inspecting regularly the hardware and installations. If required, arrange promptly repairs or replacement as necessary according to established procedures.
- Maintain records of the installations and repairs/replacements done and keeps the supervisor fully informed on the status of the equipment.
- Provide the office, where equipment is installed, with full information for their asset management records.
- If applicable, keep a proper inventory level of all sites spares and return spare parts for repair/replacement;
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Add or remove users from the Network.
- Carry out minor hardware maintenance.
- Maintain up to date inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
- Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of telecoms equipment.
- Maintains the VSAT Network and local PABX systems in the AOR.
- Undertake coaching, and training of ICT staff and users. Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the ICT equipment.
- Undertake upgrading of computers (Hardware, Software) in UNHCR offices to maintain current UNHCR standards and, subsequent installation of the new software platforms.
- Liaise directly with end users to clarify analyses and resolve reported issues, delivering high standard of customer services.
- Undertake other tasks or assignments within his/her area of competence as directed by Supervisor/Head of Service.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents / problems.
- Escalate issues to supervisor if incident / problem cannot be resolved within scope of responsibility.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Secondary School or equivalent technical school with formal training and certification on satellite communication.
- Minimum 11 years of job experience relevant to the function particularly on HF/VHF radio or IT systems, PAMA satellite systems, PABX, Cisco routers and satellite modems.
- Knowledge of computer application packages such as MS Office.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language and/or local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
- Training experience.
Effective date of assignment