In order to assist in addressing the humanitarian challenges being faced by people of Pakistan, especially after the recent and last year’s catastrophic floods in the country, OCHA has strengthened its presence in Pakistan by establishing field offices, in order to provide support to UN agencies, NGOs, donors and other humanitarian organizations working in Pakistan. One of OCHA's strategic priorities will be to support the Humanitarian Coordinator in the coordination and dissemination of public information, media relations and advocacy for humanitarian assistance to the populations in Pakistan affected by recent flooding, ongoing response to the conflict in north and northwest areas of Pakistan, and overall disaster preparedness throughout the country.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Admin/Finance Officer, the Administrative Finance Associate will be responsible for the following main duties:-
Budget and Finance
Preparation and revision of cost plans in line with work plans and Financial considerations.
Rules and Regulations.
- Prepare requests for funds (Financial Authorizations) in line with approved cost plan and monitor expenditures against
- Finance Authorizations.
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistence with UN Policies and sound financial practice.
- Reconcile inter-office vouchers (IOVs) with UNDP information to confirm accuracy of accounts; correct financial entry
- as required; ensure UNDP IOVs provide adequate information to allow for reconciliation with UNOCHA‘s accounting
- Maintain inventory of assets, ensuring that all OCHA properties are properly labeled, assigned and tracked.
- Train Admin/Finance Assistant, and provide guidance on Financial Administration and to Administrative and programme
- Perform other related task as required.
- Coordinate the recruitment of national staff in collaboration with UNDP.
- Support procurement of goods through UNDP or Headquarters as indicated, ensure appropriate processes are followed.
- Verify receipts of goods and services, ensuring specification, condition and qualities of goods are correct and paperwork is complete and properly filed.
- In collaboration with Department of Safety and Security (DSS) and the Head of Office as well as Administrative Finance Officer, the incumbent assist in ensuring Minimum Operations of Safety and Security (MOSS) compliance for vehicles, office & residential compliance.
- Prepare Travel Authorizations, ensuring appropriate justification, costing and approvals.
- Verify travel claims submitted for settlement and track outstanding payments.
- Liaise with the Administrative Finance Officer on Administrative, Finance, Human Resources and Procurement.
Professionalism Comprehensive knowledge of and exposure to a wide range of humanitarian issues , emergency relief and related human rights issues; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, to analyze and articulate the protection dimension of complex issues that require a coordinated UN response; demonstrated problem-solving skills; and very good knowledge of region of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions; strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement; ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian protection and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system; demonstrated ability to complete in-depth studies and to formulate conclusions/recommendations; ability to relate humanitarian protection issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political, economic, social and human rights programmes in affected region.
Communication Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations to staff at senior levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
Planning & Organizing Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Client orientation Ability to identify clients’ needs and match them to appropriate solutions; ability to establish and maintain effective and productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; capacity to keep clients informed of progress or setbacks in ongoing projects. Ability to monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate potential problems.
Teamwork Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
q Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
q Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
q Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
q Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
q Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
q Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (broad range of specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
q Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
q Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
q Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
q Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
q Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
q Uses information/databases/other management systems
q Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
q Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
q Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
q Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
q Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
q Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
q Maintains databases
q Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
q Self-development, initiative-taking
q Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
q Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
q Creating synergies through self-control
q Managing conflict