- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Programme Assistant (GIS)
Management Information System (MIS)
Service Contract (SC)
Secondary school education preferably supported by a university degree in Geographical Information System (GIS), Space Sciences, Computer Sciences. A Masters degree would be an advantage
3 Years(Overall, at least three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of geographic information system, emergency mapping, spatial data analysis in particular context of education, food security, vulnerability analysis, emergency response mapping, humanitarian operations, or a closely related area. At least one year at G3 level or equivalent)
PKR. 60,000 to 70,000/month
Under the supervision of Head of Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Unit or an official designated by him the Programme Assistant (GIS) will be responsible for the following duties:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting in development of Pakistan Education Atlas (including Paper based as well as dynamic web-GIS based version);
- Programming Web-Atlas according to the client requirement;
- Managing web atlas architecture and the backend database;
- Coordinating with government counterpart for the relevant data/information and transforming in the GIS system under the relevant indicator
- Coordinating and organizing national as well as provincial workshop, consultative meetings and technical trainings under the Project
- Tagging of Admin HQs (Districts HQ, Tehsil HQ, UC, Villages) in the geo-database;
- Updating the administrative boundaries for any change in administrative setup of Pakistan
- Correction and updating the accessibility database particularly transportation features like roads, bridges airfields etc
- Develop and maintain a map center by archiving all maps and mapping products from WFP and other mapping agencies;
- Perform other related duties as required
Fluency in both oral and written UN Language of the duty station (English) and in the duty station's language
Good skills in spatial data management and analysis. Good understanding in development of atlases and map books and tailoring them according to printing requirements. Knowledge Web GIS architecture and web programming languages along with technologies typically associated. Advanced computer skills, including at least intermediate skills in windows based word processing, spreadsheet and database.
Experience with organizations dealing with paper based as well as dynamic web based GIS atlases and map books. Knowledge of GIS software particularly ArcGIS 10, GeoServer, PostgreSQL and Post GIS, Apache Tomcat and programming skills in JAVA Scripting is a must. Knowledge of food security and emergency operations would be an asset.
Good analytical skills; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts and staff within the office, host population, donors, NGOs and other UN agencies; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and in a team. Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national, cultural and institutional backgrounds.