Culture program of UNESCO Islamabad is in line with the priorities of culture sector in Pakistan. The culture team works closely with relevant stakeholders including civil society, local NGO’ and academia to support the Government in the protection and promotion of cultural heritage.
UNESCO Islamabad is collaborating with Government of Punjab regarding the implementation of the World Bank funded project, “Protection and Promotion of Cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth”. Based on its mandate and experience, UNESCO will provide technical assistance to Government of Punjab in developing the management plans of selected heritage sites and museums and build the capacity of relevant institutions in sustainable management and protection of the sites. The project also focuses on mapping other cultural resources in the vicinity of selected sites and engage the local community through capacity building opportunities to promote the cultural and creative industries, tourism and livelihood.
B) OVERALL GOAL AND KEY RESULTS EXPECTED:
National Project Officer will be responsible for overall implementation of the project entitled, “Protection and Promotion of Cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable Tourism and Economic Growth” and will focus to achieve the following results.
Development of management plans of the selected sites and museums, as well as enhance the technical capacity of relevant staff on the sustainable conservation and management of the sites.
Documentation of the cultural and creative Industries around the selected sites for promoting tourism and livelihoods. Promote respect for cultural diversity and pluralism through formal and informal education and developing the heritage communication strategy.
C) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall authority and supervision of the head of UNESCO Office in Islamabad and close collaboration with PRMP, Government of Punjab, the incumbent will ensure the implementation and coordination of all the activities carried out under the project, “Protection and promotion of cultural heritage of Punjab for sustainable tourism and economic growth” in the Punjab province. In particular the incumbent will:
1. Seek guidance from the relevant cultural instruments and conventions of the UNESCO, develop project strategies and ensure the delivery of the project activities in Punjab province in line with the project document and signed agreement.
2. Identify and engage appropriate partner organization and experts for the implementation of the project activities and develop their TORs.
3. Work closely with the partners responsible for the implementation of activities to monitor the progress and ensure the timely delivery of the assignments as per agreed contract.
4. Undertake monitoring missions to the field to review the project progress in situ or attend any other relevant meetings.
5. Evaluate the deliverables accomplished by partners and provide them technical advice and guidance to ensure quality implementation.
6. Facilitate the coordination between the partners/experts and relevant government counterparts and where required mediate to resolve conflict for smooth implementation of the project activities.
7. Contribute and prepare the projects reports as per project agreement for submission to the Government of Punjab and represent UNESCO in the progress review and steering committee meetings of the project.
8. Build, maintain and enhance working relations with the concerned national/local authorities, cultural institutions, relevant government and non-governmental organizations and collaborate with broader tourism program.
9. Perform any other duty assigned by the head of UNESCO Islamabad office.
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of culture, social and human sciences or related field.
Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience in the field of culture, designing, managing and implementing culture programmes/projects, heritage management and policies. Proven experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks and partnerships.
Excellent oral and written skill in English and Urdu, command in Punjabi will additional asset.
A good knowledge of UNESCO’s cultural conventions and UNESCO work in the field of culture
Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Excellent interpersonal, communication skills (oral and written)
Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
Ability to maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural environment and to work effectively in team.