UN Women’s EVAW, Governance and Human Rights Unit, in collaboration with the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Commission on the Status of Women (KPCSW), is planning to review provincial laws and policies in KP to determine their alignment and compatibility with international human rights instruments and their provisions for gender equality. The aim is to provide recommendations and technical assistance to help KPCSW improve the provincial constitutional, legislative and policy frameworks for ending violence against women and promoting gender equality.
For this purpose, UN Women seeks to recruit a consultant to assist KPCSW in reviewing, drafting and finalizing pro-women legislations, align them with international human rights instruments, prepare their rules of business and costed implementation plans to develop a well-guided implementation framework.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Chairperson KPCSW and Programme Officer, UN Women KP sub office with the overall guidance of the Portfolio Lead, EVAW, Governance & Human Rights, UN Women.
Under the direct supervision of the Chairperson KPCSW and with guidance from the Portfolio Lead EVAW, Governance & HR, the Legal Expert will:
· Conduct a desk review/ research and legal analysis of relevant legislations on ending violence against women in Pakistan and particularly in KP.
· Review pro-women legislations in the light of the United Nation’s Human Right Declaration, the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and other international and national commitments towards gender equality.
· Consult with key stakeholders for their inputs and in this respect plan and facilitate the focus groups or consultations for collating inputs where necessary
· Identify gaps and revise the drafts in the light of comments from KPCSW, law department and other relevant stakeholders.
· Share the documents with KPCSW and UN Women for review and endorsement.
· Coordinate with law department for submitting the revised drafts for re-vetting and finalize the drafts based on the feedback received.
· Master’s degree in law, preferably with a focus on gender, human rights, and/ or justice;
· A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the legal or justice sector;
· Experience of working with the Government, NGOs and/ or international organizations on gender issues;
· Demonstrated experience of working on legal issues and legal document drafting;
· Proven experience in coordinating review of the existing legislation and conducting desk review/ research, legal analysis, and legal drafting;
· Strong track record in designing and leading or conducting legal reviews and studies.
Skills and Competencies:
· Demonstrated commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values;
· Good knowledge of gender equality, human rights, rule of law, violence against women, and other gender related issues;
· Familiarity with national and international instruments on human rights, women’s rights and gender equality and Pakistan’s commitments to these instruments;
· Strong knowledge of referring to and applying international norms and standards on gender equality (particularly CEDAW, Beijing Platform for Action, SDG 5, etc.) to provincial, national and regional contexts;
· Knowledge of the local context of the province with regard to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
· A good understanding of the legal/ judicial system in Pakistan;
· Proven ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with government agencies, development partners, civil society organizations along with community level women groups;
· Excellent analytical, writing, editing, presentation, facilitation and documentation skills in English;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
· Ability to communicate in Pashto language is an asset.