UNHCR is recruiting for an Interpreter Assistant (female applicants) for its Office in Islamabad, Pakistan. The successful candidate will be based in UNHCR Office in Islamabad and working with UNHCR registration, refugee status determination and resettlement teams and other unit.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. UNHCR teams are in the field in over 125 countries, using their expertise to protect and care for nearly 55 million people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Interpreter Assistant will work under the supervision of a senior UNHCR protection staff, will work closely with registration, RSD, RST, CBP and other staff, as well as with UNHCR persons of concern, namely asylum-seekers, refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and stateless persons. Occasionally, the successful candidate will also interact with the senior management and external counterparts.
The main activities that will be performed by the successful candidate are, non-exhaustively, the following:
1. Performs oral interpretation during interviews conducted for registration, refugee status determination (RSD), resettlement (RST) and general protection activities;
2. Interprets oral conversations, discussions and counselling sessions with refugees and asylum-seekers, including psycho-social counselling, and other counselling sessions with vulnerable and/or traumatised individuals;
3. Interprets at public meetings or events, as required;
4. Interprets and/or translates from hand-written reports and applications, certificates, documents, newspapers, magazines etc.;
5. Supports the unit with collecting and maintaining records on country of origin information;
6. Assists with scheduling interviews and preparing interview schedules;
7. Assists with contacting persons of concern to UNHCR via telephone, upon the request of RSD and/or RST caseworkers;
8. Assists with completing immigration forms and other documents as required for persons of concern to UNHCR;
9. Travels with international staff on their missions to the field for interpretation and other assistance, as needed;
10. Provides other support to the RSD/RST teams and takes minutes/notes;
11. Performs clerical duties to support RSD, RST and general protection caseworkers (such as scanning, copying, retyping translations and/or interview transcripts);
12. Assists with other units, including the public information and external relations units in regard to interpretation and translation;
13. Performs other duties as required.
- Excellent oral and written English, Dari and Pashto
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Have a good knowledge in computer applications such as MS Word and MS Excel.
- Touch typing and experience in secretarial position is an advantage.
- Attitude and aptitude: commitment to refugee protection, flexibility, and ability to work in a UNHCR context
Successful candidates will be contacted, and will be invited to a written test and interview. Only Pakistani female nationals or foreign female nationals with valid work permit are eligible to apply.