- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Fixed Term App (FTA)
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
10 Years(10 years experience preferably with the UN or a comparable organization in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of technical assistance projects and experience working with government authorities. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is desired.)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNODC Representative, the Senior Programme Officer is responsible for management of the UNODC programme within the thematic/sectoral areas in the context of drugs control and crime prevention according to the UNODC mandate.
The Senior Programme Officer supervises and leads programme core support staff and functions as a liaison to government counterparts and to UN agencies in relation to joint UN programming.
The Senior Programme Officer works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNODC HQ staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNODC programme implementation.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
• Coordination and supervision of programme strategies
• Management of the UNODC programme
• Creation of strategic partnerships and liaison with the government and with UN agencies;
• Provision of policy advice services to the Representative, Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1. Ensure implementation of programme strategies, focusing on achieving the following results:
• Identification of areas for support and interventions within the various thematic areas of the Country Programme for Pakistan;
• UNODC COPAK business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
2. Ensure effective management of the UNODC programme in the areas of drugs and crime prevention areas focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation and monitoring of the Country Programme focusing on achieving the following results:
• Effective application of Results-based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
• Design and formulation of UNODC programme work, translating UNODC’s mandate priorities into country specific interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
• Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of projects.
• Follow up on audit recommendations. Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes.
3. Ensure creation of strategic partnerships with the Government of Pakistan in cooperation with the management support and business development team, and function as UNODC’s primary liaison with the Government, focusing on achieving the following results:
• Partnerships with government institutions in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNODC
• Facilitation of informal and formal meetings with government counterparts, such as Technical Working Group (TWG) meetings and Programme Governance Committee (PGC) meetings, which comprise the governance mechanism of the Country Programme
• Proper management of all outgoing and incoming correspondence with government counterparts
4. Ensure creation of strategic partnerships with UN agencies and the International Financial Institutions in particular in the context of the development, implementation and monitoring of the OneUN Programme, focusing on achieving the following results:
• Proper representation of UNODC interests and mandates in OneUN-related frameworks and committees
• Timely provision of managerial, substantive and financial inputs to the OneUN Programme and management frameworks
5. Ensure provision of top quality advisory services andfacilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievingof the following results:
• Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
• Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the drugs and crime related problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UNs values and ethical standards
Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNODC
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
In-depth knowledge on development issues
Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Strong IT skills
Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities