To assist the Government of Pakistan in addressing the humanitarian challenges faced by the Pakistani population, especially after the recent floods in the country, OCHA provides support to UN agencies, NGOs, donors and other humanitarian organizations working in Pakistan. One of OCHA's strategic priorities is resource mobilization to support the humanitarian communitys timely and adequate delivery of humanitarian assistance to the populations in Pakistan affected by recent flooding in the country, military operations and natural disasters. As such, greater outreach to donors and potential donors, both in the public and private sectors in needed.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Reporting and Public Information, the National Outreach Officer will be responsible for the following:
1.Support resource mobilization and advocacy efforts of the Humanitarian Coordinator, OCHA Head and Deputy Head of Office and other OCHA staff, in coordination with the public information and reporting team and OCHA field offices.
2. Initiate and coordinate regular contacts and meetings with donors and diplomatic counterparts with representation in Pakistan.
3. Initiate and coordinate contacts with media in Arabic speaking countries to ensure dissemination of information in those regions.
4. Ensure complementarities and coherence with the Humanitarian Advocacy and resource mobilization Strategies.
5. Organize humanitarian donor briefings on the humanitarian situations in Pakistan.
6. Develop and maintain an updated donor kit comprised of power-point presentations, OCHA sit reps, funding matrixes, human interest stories with photos, special interest materials per donor.
7. Prepare a donor analysis to address how to increase funding for humanitarian emergencies.
8. Support donor reporting with OCHA reporting team.
9. Prepare a brief report explaining donor and Arabic media interests, issues, policies, and needs with regard to the 2011 Floods Rapid Response Plan.
10. Organize donor briefings for donor missions including visiting missions from Arab countries.
11.Keep all donors aware of activities, progress on their sponsored projects and ensure regular contact with them.
12.Support response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, and media, support in the development of appropriate strategies, etc.;
13. Maintain and update database on donor information.
Professionalism Comprehensive knowledge of and exposure to a wide range of humanitarian issues , emergency relief and related human rights issues; conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, to analyze and articulate the protection dimension of complex issues that require a coordinated UN response; demonstrated problem-solving skills; and very good knowledge of region of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions; strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement; ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian protection and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system; demonstrated ability to complete in-depth studies and to formulate conclusions/recommendations; ability to relate humanitarian protection issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political, economic, social and human rights programmes in affected region.
Communication Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts, recommendations and presentations to staff at senior levels and donors, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style in English as well as in Arabic language.
Planning & Organizing Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Client orientation Ability to identify clients needs and match them to appropriate solutions; ability to establish and maintain effective and productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; capacity to keep clients informed of [progress or setbacks in ongoing projects. Ability to monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate potential problems.
Teamwork Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.